help ..Engine check light turns on

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i have a 91 civivc dx 5 speed 140k on it .. it runs great ..just that about 2 days ago the engine check light turned on when i was on the highway but it seemed like the engine is runns fine. after i got home i turned off the car and started it back up right way and the engine checkk light was gone ... untill i dove it again for another 15-20 minute it turn back on ... i keeps comeing on after i drive for 15-20 minute or if i accelerate fast after i start my car every time ..Can someone tell what it could be ? header sencer ?maybe somethings wrong after the engne gets hot ?

After a google search...heres some directions for an EF civic.

To determine if your ECU has an error code:

1. Locate the ECU under the carpet in the passenger foot well.
2. Find the red LED in the center of the ECU.
3. Turn the ignition to ON. The red LED should flash once when this happens to indicate that the ECU has power.
4. If there are no further flashes then there are no error codes.
5. If there are further flashes then there are one or more error codes.

To get the number of the stored error code you need to count the number of long flashes and the number of short flashes. The long flashes will occur before the short ones. A long flash represents 10, and a short flash indicates 1. So if the flashes look like _ _ - - (where _ is a long flash and - is a short one) then the error code is 22.

If there are multiple error codes, then there will be a noticeable pause before the next code starts.

Once you have the code go to the reference section and look up the error code in the Honda ECU Error code list.

well i had the same problem just cruisin around my check engine light was goin out and then stop at a store restart the car and engine was off then after a while it comes back on
i was recievin one flash on my ECU and i replace my 02 sensor and then the problem was gone
but ya where the passenger side on the front just peel the carpet and read the blinking red light to read them its if you get 3 short blinks its throwing 3 code but if you get 3 long blinks its throwing 30 code
Heres all the code list

1 O2A - Oxygen sensor #1
2 O2B - Oxygen sensor #2
3 MAP - manifold absolute pressure sensor
4 CKP - crank position sensor
5 MAP - manifold absolute pressure sensor
6 ECT - water temperature sensor
7 TPS - throttle position sensor
8 TDC - top dead centre sensor
9 CYP - cylinder sensor
10 IAT - intake air temperature sensor
12 EGR - exhaust gas recirculation lift valve
13 BARO - atmospheric pressure sensor
14 IAC (EACV) - idle air control valve
15 Ignition output signal
16 Fuel injectors
17 VSS - speed sensor
19 Automatic transmission lockup control valve
20 Electrical load detector
21 VTEC spool solenoid valve
22 VTEC pressure valve
23 Knock sensor
30 Automatic transmission A signal
31 Automatic transmission B signal
36 traction control found on JDM ecu's
41 Primary oxygen sensor heater
43 Fuel supply system
45 Fuel system too rich or lean
48 LAF - lean air fuel sensor
54 CKF - crank fluctuation sensor
58 TDC sensor #2
61 Primary oxygen sensor
63 Secondary oxygen sensor
65 Secondary oxygen sensor heater
71 random misfire cylinder 1
72 random misfire cylinder 2
73 random misfire cylinder 3
74 random misfire cylinder 4
80 Exhaust Gas Recirculation insufficient flow detected
86 ECT Sensor (Engine Coolant Temperature) circuit range / performance problem
90 Evaporative Emission Control System leak detected in the fuel tank area
91 Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor low input
92 Evaporative Emission Control System insufficient purge flow

A long pause means that its starting over, meaning if your only getting a long blink and then a long pause its code 10 which is your Intake Air Temp Sensor. A short blink will just like flicker on and off, a long flash will be on for like a whole second and then go out. So if its a short blink followed by a long pause, its a code 1 for your oxygen sensor.

Back