Help formby make a buying decision

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

formby

learning in progress
for a while now ive been holding off on buying a new house because of 4 things.

1. bad credit
2. not enough pay
3. needing a car [altima is dying]
4. i dont have money saved

now for the "what's changed"

1. ive paid all my dept [medical] and my score went from 550+/- to 639 [equifax]
2. i got a raise that puts me @31200 [and if i make cold calls i can make commisions] and almost 2x my pay
3.i still need a car
4. my wife had a steady job for years and is a hard worker. however we went on vacation and her boss fired her. and now
only makes 16k at her new job. on a good note she might get hired as a teller at a local bank soon. [so i dont have money saved but she could help out]

i rent a hot house and i want to buy it but its in the 450k range. so its out of my budget...
i could get a home loan with no DP, for a cheaper house [i rather not]
but the altima is definately gone and it would cost almost 2k to get perfect.

i'm looking for a car in the 2001-2004 range/15.5k range... kinda like this
Used Car-Inventory Coggin Honda of Orlando Orlando FL
and later i would put a tsx long block in it or a types

so what do i do

buy a house?
buy a car?
fix the altima? [might have to get a credit card for this]

lets keep this in subject and the useless comments out of the thread please...

discuss

well no matter what happens your gona need a car right i mean im sure your not gona walk all the time so your gona wont to get the car

:withstupid:

you have a place to live
you need transportation

car wins
fix or buy is up to you

is that civic a good buy? i could trade in the altima. i want a K so bad

You can make so much more out of that stupid area.

Fun to visit, I can't imagine living there.

I would say "Fix the Altima" but there ain't no fixin a Nissan. It's the Ford of Japan.

This is a tough one. Were you me, I would move out of that area. $30k is not tough to find elsewhere. And doing what you do down there, up here, you would be making $45 clear. And the housing is the same / cheaper. As far as $16k, literally (Not being snotty) this is what your common McDonalds worker makes in the NE.

here's a thought.... buy a beater pickup; my logic behind this is that if you need to haul parts for your "projects" you're covered, if you need an extra vehicle, you're covered, if you buy a decent pickup outright, it counts as collateral when APPLYING for credit. That's my $0.02...

get yourself a nice 96-00 coupe and save yourself from the hefty monthly bill of a 15K SI

keep your eye on getting a house, the car is just transportation

You can make so much more out of that stupid area.

Fun to visit, I can't imagine living there.

I would say "Fix the Altima" but there ain't no fixin a Nissan. It's the Ford of Japan.

This is a tough one. Were you me, I would move out of that area. $30k is not tough to find elsewhere. And doing what you do down there, up here, you would be making $45 clear. And the housing is the same / cheaper. As far as $16k, literally (Not being snotty) this is what your common McDonalds worker makes in the NE.

16k is what she gets paid for to watch 10 kids at any point in time while their parents take a timeshare tour. so its just for now.

no body will pay me 30+k to sit in front of a computer and do whatever i want... as long as i answer the phone and take 17 calls a day. and maybe train a class or two once a qtr
[ i wont leave my job for a LONG time]

i like the area... i can go to miami any time, tampa, the keys. a nice trip to IOA is always nice. and i live in the middle of it all...

i dont like snow for more than 2 weeks out of the year. thats why i vacation were it snoes

as far as fixing the altima i wont... i need something nicer...

what car then?

i have a 99ek with a b series sitting ready for it... that my wife drives
i drive the montero to work cuz the altima wont make the 60mile a day trip.but the gas bill is getting to me
so my mom is stuck driving the altima to work because its close and thats all she uses it for..
and i want a honda. that comes with a K

well the si will be the cheapest then. sence you got to have a k

no body will pay me 30+k to sit in front of a computer and do whatever i want... as long as i answer the phone and take 17 calls a day.

remember when i was on 3rd shift???

thats pretty much what i did. 5-10 calls a night, tops, fuck around on the internet, sleep, nap, watch movies....
45k yr.

:p

as far as fixing the altima i wont... i need something nicer...

need, or want?

you need to weigh out whats really important to you.

in the end, you could buy a $500 beater every year for the rest of your life, and still make out.
avg 'decent' car payment is over 350 bucks now adays, and closer to 500 for something 'nice', and near 1000 for something 'really nice'.

you could buy 6 beaters a year for 5 years for the price of a new accord on a 5 yr payment loan

and i want a honda. that comes with a K

again, want or need?

you're thinking like me :p stop that. lol

remember when i was on 3rd shift???

thats pretty much what i did. 5-10 calls a night, tops, fuck around on the internet, sleep, nap, watch movies....
45k yr.

:p

nice.... but i think the cost of living is less here. Y N ?

need, or want?
its a want, but i want to drive around something "new" ive had too many beaters bro.
you need to weigh out whats really important to you.

in the end, you could buy a $500 beater every year for the rest of your life, and still make out.
avg 'decent' car payment is over 350 bucks now adays, and closer to 500 for something 'nice', and near 1000 for something 'really nice'.

you could buy 6 beaters a year for 5 years for the price of a new accord on a 5 yr payment loan
i see your point but its not like i want an M:ph34r:

again, want or need?
man you know how long ive wanted a k and swapping and going through the hole swap thing it would cost more..

what if i get a fit?
you're thinking like me :p stop that. lol
you are successful, so i think the way you think is good...:)

hit autotrader up and look for a si or a rsx

It boils down to what's more important to you: financial responsibility, or having a nice car.
If you want to own a home, and you make 30K, give up the idea of buying a new/nice car.
But if you gotta have the car, buy it, keep renting, and look for a better paying job. Just my $.02

Back