(Help!) GSR obd2a into Ek obd2b

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EK_spoon2

:huh: Hey, i having a hard time trying to figure out how to easily swap in the gsr obd2a into my ek obd2b......of course you can see dat my problem is the wiring part and not the installation...plzzzzzzzzz someone help me, my head hurts....i dont have a clue where to start...all opinions would be great

thanks. EK :huh:

dude, i just checked dat swap guide thing on the page above and it didn't help.....i need some hardcore wiring info. but thanks for the info though.

Um i dunno how much help this will be but i did this same swap, 1996 GSR into 2000 EK DX Hatch. To make it easier on myself and not have to worry about the secondary runners on the GSR manifold i just used a Skunk 2 Intake manifold, then I was able to use a 99-00 EX wiring harness everything pluged in... all i had to do was lengthen the V-tec wires, i used the GSR distributor by cutting the plug end off of the distributor and soldering the obd2b end on to it, that was easy just match color for color and plug it into the EX harness, at this point i used a 99-00 SI ECU and boom, start engine, done. The car completely stripped of everything but the dash and two seats, intake, DC 4-1 header, exhaust and no slicks ran a 13.7 here in Sacramento. B4 I get flammed for anythinig i wrote on here, i would just like to say i did this myself and i kno it worked for me, so please dont tell me it will not work, im jsut tryin to offer some help :D .

to KSRCIvic:

hey you know wut....that just might work....but how about the ecu side?....did you have to change the plug pins around or...wut the hell do you do at the ecu side?...but the ex engine harness thing is a good idea....thanks for that one....dat will help on the engine bay side...but if you can, is it possible to give me more detail on the ecu side?.....thanks...

the 99-00 EX harness plugs right into the 99-00 SI ecu no pin outs at all...as well as it will plug into your harness that goes to that dash on the left side of the car too, so you can run the SI cluster and everything works the same. this is an easy fix for your situation, that is if u decide to go with the skunk 2 manifold so you do not need to run the wiring for the secondary runners on the stock GSR manifold as well as this allows you to run the 99-00 SI ECU so you do not need to pin out the harness for the GSR ecu. like I said b4 i hope this helps! :worthy:

OHHHHHH, oh coo.....alright.....so everything is a plug and play if i use the 99-00 ex harness and if the switch to the skunk2 manifold.....thnx dude....this help alot then i expected...i have another question now though...actually two questions if you dunt mind.....where do i get the 99-00 ex (us)/99-00 si (can) harness? and is the si (us)/sir (can) intake manifold the same as a skunk2?......

Thanks.....EK :worthy:

your very helpful

.......Assuming that you wanted to use the B16 IM..........,

You have to stick with the GSR IM. They have different bolt patterns.....unless you go w/ Skunk2 IM.

The harness can be bought from e bay or a wrecking yard, i got mine from wrecking yard in Sacramento for $150, the ECU u can get from e bay or online somewhere i got that for $225, and the Skunk 2 manifold also you can get on ebay or local shop should be around $250... as for the manifold from the B16A will not fit, the bolt pattern is slightly differnet as well as thee ITR manifold will not work either as the ITR has a ported B16A head on it. So in my opinion jus go with the skunk 2, trust me that eliminated a lot of wiring headaches i was having with the same swap your doing. Plus the skunk 2 is basically the same design as the ITR manifold so you know it flows better than the stock GSR manifold. Like I said b4 hope this helps, good luck and let me know how it goes. B)

its not that bad to wire the secondaires. i only had to wire 4 wires for my swap. jus run the wires you need through the fire wall and then just stick them into the proper pins. plus it will save you loads of money if specialy if your engine came with the ecu

instead of spending alot of money and time trying to find all that stuff, just buy an ecu jumper, crossover, whatever you want to call it.

thnx a lot for your guys help, i dunt think this swap would have been possible if it weren't from you guys, but ya...i got the ex harness already and the sir comp....i juss want to know if i have to still wire up the secondaries wif the sir comp?......and where is the damn secondaries any ways?...i looked in the damn Haynes book but it doesn't help when i dun know wut imma lookn foo....oh...and wif tha ex harness, this means i dun need to worry bout the vtec and Knock sensor right, just the secondaries now correct?...i know these are a lot of question but i'm still fairly new at this.....and thnx again for all your help.

Thx .......EK :worthy:

P.S. I forgot its alright if i have an automatic ex harness right?....plzzz tell me its ok......thx...

Well the SI ECU is not setup to run the secondary butterflies... so that ecu wont work at all for what ur tryin do, thats why I said use the Skunk 2 manifold, there are no secondaries to worry about.... but you can still use the EX harness jus like i said plug it in to everything including knock sensor and v-tec, just lengthen the v-tec wires... if you decide to use the GSR manifold you will need to get a 99+GSR ecu and pin out the ECU plug to make it work right then run the wires from the correct pins on the ECU to the secondary butterflies on the manifold. However changing the pins on the EX harness to match the pins on the GSR ecu is not a fun thing since you will have to repin the entire thing, so thats not a good option, or you can look on the net to see if you can find a crossover plug to make the ex harness work with the GSR ecu, its up to you... there are a lot of opinions on this, i decided to go with the easiest no wire change solution that i could find and that is what I suggested to you. I think in the end you will be happier with the Skunk 2 manifold over the stock GSR, not only for the fact you will have to do less wiring but also because it flows better than the stock manifold, but this is just my opinion. So like i said b4 i hope this helps ;)

Oh and the Auto harness will work fine you just wont plug that plug in to the tranny when u do the swap.

ok...so i will then go with the skunk2 manifold then....so just to recap: with the skunk2 manifold (still to get), and the Sir ecu (have) and the ex auto harness (have)...all i have to do is plug everything in from motor to ecu, lengthen the vtec wiring and dont plug in the auto wire to the tranny, reuse the gsr distributor harness to adapt to the ex harness, lengthen the o2 sensor wires, dun need to worry about the secondaries.....and then turn on the engine?

Yup thats about it... on the OBD2B harnesses the plugs for the O2 sensors were reversed meaning they changed the male and female ends around, so if your using the O2 sensors from a OBD1 or OBD2A motor you will need to change the plug ends, also the 99-00 SI Ecu only uses 1 O2 sensor so dont worry about the extra O2 Plug on the EX harness that will be empty just make sure to plug the O2 sensor into the correct plug so you get the right reading of oxygen, other than that you should be good to go... this was all i did to my friends swap and it started right up, I never had a problem with it. Like I said b4 hope this helps u out. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

cool.....thx a lot bro.....but i have another big big big problem......i just looked at my ex harness, well it has plug B C and D....and its a 99 harness...wut tha f*ck! and i'm sure its a ex harness too, i took it out my self....the colours are there, but not in the order the skitmatics show....but i think i kno the reason though....you see, in Canada (this is where i live) the ex is called the si and the si are called here in canada sir.....also, we have an Acura 16EL 4door here with the ex motor/si in canada...and well, this is where i took out the harness from...i took it out of the Acura 16el....which is the sohc vtec motor with the one piece harness...can this be the reason why the plug is B C and D?...so confused...ne ways i'm going to look alil more in to this...but your help would be probably better cuz ya know soo much more...neways, thx for your time and sorry for any inconvience....

Thx a lot..........EK

Back