1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help identify this peice of metal

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by JustinSane, May 22, 2008.

1. JustinSane

JustinSane New Member

Hi guys, i have showed this to a few other people and no one can identify it. i found it in the oil pan of my d series last week. not sure if it might have been introduced to my motor from a foreign source like maybe it was in a funnel i used or something. as you can see it looks like the end on the left is jagged like it was broken off while the end on the right looks nice and flat like it was never a true circle. my car runs fine and has had many hours of driving both high and low rpm since i found it, i drove a 4 hour trip and also had around 20 dyno pulls on the car since then. so if it is from my car its not affecting it yet. first thought was something for the wrist pin , but after showing it to several honda builders no one thought it could be that. could it be from anything in the head or vtec? or is it probably a foreign item?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. |Chaz|

|Chaz| Well-Known Member VIP

Nice wheat penny, don't see many of those anymore. No idea what that piece of metal is though.

3. LS_VTEC

LS_VTEC you get the BRAKE

This should be interesting...

4. bigg86

bigg86 New Member

i'm pretty sure its one of two thrust shims/washers (not sure what its called) that go in the center of ur crankshaft.... if you have a repair manual look up for the crankshaft installation picture and u should see where these go......not 100% sure but this is what it looks like.

5. JustinSane

JustinSane New Member

look at the second pic where its next to a penny. how could something as small as a penny go beside the crank?

6. LS_VTEC

Thrust washers are much larger in size. Looks to me like it may have been a locking ring of some sort, but you wouldnt really see them in the short block... the transaxle, yes. Odd. Maybe a chunk of one of the compression rings?

7. bigg86

bigg86 New Member

check out this pic http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.hondatuningmagazine.com/0401_stroker09_s.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/0401_eagle_stroker_kit_gs_r_motor/index.html&h=200&w=150&sz=8&hl=en&start=8&um=1&tbnid=c-gnbpVuYuaiDM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=78&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dthrust%2Bwasher%2Bintegra%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial%26sa%3DN, i know this is from a b-series and i don't know how big the ones from the d-series are bcuz i've never taken one out..... damn that thing looks really familiar but i just can't think of what it is for sure.... i'm just trying to help out here.

8. JustinSane

JustinSane New Member

what kind of compression rings? its not a part of a piston ring of any sort look at how small it is compared to the penny, a piston ring is much larger and the curve for a piece that small would be more subtle. plus its way to thin to be a piston ring.

9. JustinSane

JustinSane New Member

ok link works now . looking to see what it is, there are tons of pics on that page, which do you want me to look at?

10. LS_VTEC

Have you ever seen what a piston ring set looks like? I am not saying it is a piston ring, I am merely stating possibilities. It is very clear that it isn't from the short block assembly. Keep in mind, his car is turbocharged. That opens the door for more possibilities. But if his engine is operating fine, than I guess right now isnt the time to worry about it.

11. bigg86

bigg86 New Member

have u ever taken this crankshaft out? bcuz if u look closely at the picture i sent u, on the right where the bolt that holds the crankshaft is at, you can see that the diameter of the washer for that bolt is about the same size as ur picture. maybe u forgot to torque one of those bolts down or overtorque it, or somehow the washer cracked.... that's what it looks like to me now.

12. LS_VTEC

13. JustinSane

JustinSane New Member

yeah i have replaced my pistons before.

still looking for the picture your talking about, that link you sent above takes me to a page with a lot of pics

14. bigg86

bigg86 New Member

picture number 9

15. JustinSane

JustinSane New Member

the washer seen under the main cap bolt on the right?

16. LS_VTEC

I think he is talking about one of the washers on one of the main bolts.

Drop the oil pan, remove the oil pickup and windage tray and see if any of those washers are damaged/missing.

17. JustinSane

JustinSane New Member

well i dont think it was ever a complete circle, if you look at the picture i took of it without the penny you see its jagged like its broken on the left but on the right its perfect and flat.

18. LS_VTEC

You never know. Better to be safe than sorry if you ask me.

19. bigg86

bigg86 New Member

main bolt washer

20. dacheat

dacheat ..is grounded.

some washers are split :shrug:

evidence: a split thrust washer:
    [​IMG]

not the same as the piece you have, just saying.

Last edited: May 23, 2008
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted