help identify this peice of metal

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rings from a spark plug?
it kinda reminds me of part of a seal for hydraulic fittings, i honestly don't know.

Check around the head around the camshaft assembly maybe? looks about he size maybe the ring around the distributor?

couldn't be part of an oil filter bolt washer?

there's a washer on that? i never pay attention.

I just put it in and take it out. Well maybe in the reverse order.

oilfilters.jpg

still doesn't look quite right but yeah..also a crush washer. :shrug2:

Last edited:
well used to get the cheap filters anyway. I replaced them early and for the most part they all, technically "should" filter the same to a minimum spec.

FRAM, NAPA, i think Donaldson, and a few others never came with washers.
That actually sounds more like it would be it though, and kinda looks like it, I would have to say check that first.

I'd rep but I have to spread it around cause it wont let me

thanks guys for trying to help, we are also looking into it being maybe the split lock ring on the end of the dizzy shaft. still chasing leads here.

case solved, its part of the wrist pin spiral lock used on SRP pistons. now im trying to figure out how a small piece was broken off and ended up in my pan. thanks guys for trying and the fast responses.

Manufacture defect, preexisting crack that could not be seen before?

case solved, its part of the wrist pin spiral lock used on SRP pistons. now im trying to figure out how a small piece was broken off and ended up in my pan. thanks guys for trying and the fast responses.

It all makes sense now. Aftermarket pistons use locks for the wrist pins. Cast (oem type) use wrist pins, but they get pressed in with no locks. As far as that piece breaking, that can be due to stress on the engine, high revving in particular.

Back