HELP!! lost my pics

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eg6sir

Supa Mod
VIP
ok... so i was cleaning up the computer because i noticed a lot of my memory was being used that shouldnt be.. and i accidentally deleted my entire picture file... now i know most will say "check your recycle bin" ... well, i've done that and they arent there

is there a way to recover my lost pics?? they've got to be somewhere on the computer still .. my fiance is gonna kill me.. lol.. need to get this done within 3 hrs.. she's has a class tonight..

what backups? lol..

really though.. is there anyway of getting them back..

strange thing is.. some other stuff that i deleted at the same time was in the recycle bin, but not all of it

Last edited:
i just realized something.. i may have backups.. she never deletes the pics off her camera when she uploads them.. so i'll just get them from there... and i have most of my pics on my camera too.. i should be safe now.. lol

do a quick file search for all of your pictures.

start
search
other search options
pictures, music, videos
check box for pictures and photos. click "search"

a lot of stuff will come up.

i've done that.. thats where i deleted them from because there was duplicates of all of them.. its showed the pics at the top.. then it showed all the icons for windows and the same pictures that were at the top, were at the bottom too.. so i deleted the bottom ones.. they all disappeared and werent in the recycle bin either

i tried a system restore, but it didnt work..

another thing i'm wondering is.. how can i find whats taking up all my hard drive space?

Try running this: CCleaner - Home

Look at Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, delete the shit you don't use.

Also, right click the icon for your hard drive, click properties>General>Disk Cleanup utility

already did that.. it seems that when i reformatted my comp.. it didnt delete my files.. just covered them up.. because when i do scans i see it scanning my old files before the reformat

Sounds like you have a double OS installation situation. Reformat again, and GOD DAMN IT, DO IT RIGHT THIS TIME!

Don't make any more changes to your file system- no deletes, writes, cleanups or anything like that. Find some good uneraser programs. There are quite a few good free ones out there, even some that can read through partition table wipes.

One that I've used with great success before is just called "ntfsundelete.exe". Google it up. Hopefully you were on NTFS. :D

yeah, do NOT add or delete anything else from the hard drive. the more changes you make the more likely it is that your pictures will be gone forever or corrupt. Every time you delete something the blocks where it's written still remain until you put something else in it's place.

Think of the file system as a list of all the files on your computer and their location, and the hard drive being a giant place to throw shit.

If you delete a file you've just deleted it off the file system. You haven't deleted it off the hard drive you've just deleted the reference to it, so the pieces are still around until the file system reallocates that space somewhere else.

Anyway, when/if you get your files back and you want to find out where all the space is, a utility called WinDirStat is excellent for that purpose.

Also the reason you found some and not all of your files is that if you delete a folder when the contents exceed the max size of your recycle bin the folder will be removed from the file system (after you say its okay).

torrent getdataback for NTFS.... it will build a shell structure that you can search and drag/drop. works great :thumbsup:

gonna give those a try.. i told her i lost the pics last night.. didnt seem too upset, so i may just ignore the whole thing and just upload all the pics from teh cameras

gonna look into the one that checks where all my memory is going

for the future, hiren's boot cd is a great tool for managing hdd and stuff. it allows you to format, unerase, recover partitions, diagnostics, backups, etc., and it also has a slimed down version of xp that you can boot from the cd (older versions have win 98).

Back