HelP!!! Lower contorl arm vs steering knuckle

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

leonc

hello,
I taking my motor out. I have everything done except the drive axles. So i need help with that.

I took the hub nut off.
I took out the control fork.

I took the nut off of the steering knuckle that is holding the lower control arm on but the lower control arm will not pull out. any advice or suggestions.

Leon

Can you post a pic?

Once you remove the shock fork, and the lower ball joint, you should be able to swing the knuckle out and pull the axle out of the hub.

sounds like you cant get the lower ball joint, get a "pickle fork" or just hammer on the thing, if you have a torch, heat around the lower ball joint, be careful not to burn the dust boot, it takes finesse. lol. but at the least ive gotten away with using a propane torch to heat it, but it takes a while. HEAT = metal expansion, which equals less hammering when you are laying on your back! :D

BFH to teh side of the LCA works wonders too.

If it is the lower ball joint, thread on a nut a little ways and hammer up on it. It also helps to hammer around the ball joint on the LCA to break it loose if it's seized up. MAKE SURE you thread that nut on so the threads on the ball joint are not exposed other wise you will end up buying a new one. A pickle fork might also help but it didn't do shit for me even with my snap-on air hammer. Have you atleast got the cotter pin out?

If ya need any more help hit me up on AIM @ xyswany.

werd to the pickle fork, i couldnt for the life of me get it off with just a hammer before, then i used the good ol pickle fork and it separated that bitch right off

I usually was a ball joint remover, but for some reason last time, it just wouldn't work, but the hammer to the LCA knocked it out in one shot, weird eh.

WAIT WAIT WAIT DONT TAKE THE BALL JOINT APART. GONNA END UP PAYIN MORE MONEY TO REPLACE. THERES A ESEIR WAY.

I Can take my axles out in therty minutes without haveing to take all these parts of and haveing to pay for new parts.

first step: disconnect battery and take out of engine bay

second step:jack car up on jack stands safely and take the wheels off

third step: take the forks that attach to the spring wich you have already dun

fourth step: take the top control arm out but dont separate the ball joints take the bolts that are in the side of the tower that hold the control arm in there 14mm

fith step: take the brackt that holds the bracke line to the spindal off 12 mm here

sixth step: pull the unit out as far as it will go

seventh step: hit the axle with a hammer from the end where you took of the axle nut to get it to pop out of the hub. trust me it will pop out

the from there if its still in the trans use a pry bar or screw driver and pry it out if the trans side then your don

replacement is the same as removal.

please dont tell this guy to damage his car and pay more to replace the parts when there is esier ways to do this.

ya boy steveo

Originally posted by 96CIVICLS@May 29 2005, 06:15 PM
im gonna take pictures of me doing this and show people the correct way.
[post=505002]Quoted post[/post]​

Taking the ball joint out of the LCA is the right way. No one is taking the ball joint part, only seperating it from the LCA which has to be done to remove it..

NO YOUR WRONG ON THAT IVE DONE THIS A MILLION TIMES WITH OUT HAVEING TO REMOVE IT. TRY ME ILL SHOW YOU

YA BOY STEVEO

naw dude...
just bang the lower lca right by the castle nut. hell, the lca has a 'flat spot' on the back of it thats designed to be struck by a hammer. 2 or 3 good solid wacks will free it up. pull up and out, and its good

please dont tell this guy to damage his car and pay more to replace the parts when there is esier ways to do this.

what is wrong with you?

why would you remove the whole upper assembly when you can just pop the ball joint out of the LCA?

and i can vouch for the hammer to the LCA, even a small ball peen will do it

it will help if you have a helping hand to just pull up on the knuckle or lug studs... then when you hammer on the LCA it will come right out for you...

wtf are you talking about taking ball joints apart for???
popping the ball joint from the LCA is 10x faster than removing the upper assembly...

honda>you

Originally posted by 96CIVICLS@Jun 3 2005, 03:56 PM
NO YOUR WRONG ON THAT IVE DONE THIS A MILLION TIMES WITH OUT HAVEING TO REMOVE IT. TRY ME ILL SHOW YOU

YA BOY STEVEO
[post=507271]Quoted post[/post]​

If I'm wrong, than Honda mechanics across the world, Helms, and a slew of other people that do things the right way are too. Removing the whole upper assembly is retarded and adds more work. If the thought you put into how you present your information is any indication of how you work on cars, I am scared for your car.

Not gonna argue anymore with you on this one. For me I found this to be the esier way. But its up to you how you wanna do it. My way involes less hassle then you think and less tools to. Wish I could take pics but the cam wont work. Well youll figure it out eventually.

ya boy steveo

Back