help me build my b20/vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FLounder

power hungry
VIP
the background info:
i picked up this dc2 with a b20z block and b16a head. he bottom end is all stock, the head has omni springs, retainers, and GSR cams with stock cam gears. still has the stock b16a intake mani but with a type R throttle body on it. has a GSR trans. other than that i have bolt-ons... short ram intake, 4 into 1 stainless header that im not sure of the brand, no cat, and a 2.25" exhaust. the ecu is a basemap for b20vtec from xenocron. oh yeah and it has some aftermarket non adjustable fpr on it.

i want to make some decent power with this thing and i need help. i dont want to get into internals on the block just yet. this engine runs sooo nice and smooth right now, its just not as fast as it could be. my goal is a nice quick reliable street car. what do all do i need to do before i take it and have it dyno tuned???

im thinking a skunk2 intake manifold, some itr or ctr cams, adjustable cam gears, maybe a good header.... help!!!

b20vtec006.jpg

b20vtec001.jpg

newteg023.jpg

usually a build also includes the block. Read the ls/vtec build in the reference section for that. You want high rpm cams yet with a stock block your limited to the stock redline of 6800rpm.

IMO Build the block so you can make better use of the CTR cams.

Last edited:
well what can i do without building the block then?

Are you unwilling to crack into the block and add some after-market goodies? Without upgrading the internals you're not going to be able to take full advantage of that VTEC head, and it wouldn't really make sense to install Type R cams since your red-line is limited by the factory B20 bottom end...

the thing im looking at right now is that its going to cost somewhere around $1k to get into the block. would rather just get everything else as good as possible first. i am wondering what all to buy. what type of header is best for b20vtec? what cams? also i guess a skunk2 or typeR manifold would help... and i know i need to get adjustable cam gears.

i have revved this engine to 8000 rpms and it is nice and smooth, pulls good, and runs like a top. from what you guys are saying this wont last forever :p and i do plan on eventually building this thing all the way just not today

Back