Help me buy a new car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Geez, why is it so hard? all he wants is a luxury pimp mobile that does 140 and gets 30mpg while doing it. Oh, and under 10k.

Quit being so freakin picky. Take it easy on the subie and save gas, or romp on it like hell. Even at a 1/4 tank every day, thats still cheaper than buying/insuring/maintaining another car.

If you MUST get a gas saving vehilcle, I would highly reccomend a CRX Si. Find a nice clean ass low mileage stock one for $3-4k. Import one from texas so there is no rust. Slap liability insurance on it and call it a day. They do 130mph stock, handle well, and get 30mpg while doing it and dont look half bad. Not to mention a stock 'rex will never strand you. Ever. Seriously..

Alternatively, get an insight. slowish, 50mpg, eco-friendly, good handling, kinda fugly though. (Wouldnt look bad pulling up to a client's place with it.. Tech guy driving a tech looking car.. it makes sense.)

Last edited:
Insight yo!!!

Accessport FTW!!!! if not, suck it up and dont be such a pussy, drive something that isnt "hot" or "cool" or "hip".

the sc300's arent too hard to find in stick, really. 94 Lexus sc300, red, manual, 60k, under 9 grand @ Devan Infiniti in Fairfield. AutoTrader.com - Cars For Sale: Car Details

Ever think of a 01/02 mini cooper?? :D blast to drive, can find one for 15k, quirky looks and the bitches love them.

Last edited:
Geez, why is it so hard? all he wants is a luxury pimp mobile that does 140 and gets 30mpg while doing it. Oh, and under 10k.

That sums up EVERY Brian "Tell-me-what-to-buy" thread.

yes, i'm picky. if it was easy, there wouldn't be a thread. i'd just go out an dbuy something. but, I have no idea wtf i want.

i don't want to accessport or do anything for that matter to the sti. It's perfectly fine how it is.

I wish it was 1/4 tank a day. Unfortunately, its 1/4 tank each way which = 1/2 tank a day = $18 a day in gas. it's crazy.

even if i baby it, its still $16.50 a day, so there's no point. plus, i suck at mornings and am never running on time. lol

I don't want a CRX or any honda for that matter. I'd rock an acura, but, they don't hit the mpg i want nor the price on a newer model,l and 5spds are just about non-existant on late 90's TL's etc.... I don't think i'll even cosnider anything more than 10 years old (read, 96/97 or newer)

even if the supra was in my price range, and got gas mileage, i don't want one. Not for a daily driver any way. To replace the sti, perhaps... but not to act as a daily. That, and i'd only take the last gen. the mkiv i think they are called don't do it for me at all. and the last thing i want to hear again is "2JZ? No Shit!?"

I don't want an insight or a prius, or any other hybrid for that matter. maybe the accord v6 hybrid-- but again, it's too new and out of my price range.

the mini cooper is too "gay" for me. I'd rock the orig one, but the new ones just don't cut it. Almost as gay as a guy driving a 4th gen jetta :p

all the m3's for sale are all too much money or affordable and at their end of life (sorry, bmw's don't see 175k very often... and most in the mid teens are 140k+ on them) or automatic, or gay puke shitstain brown leather. i have i mentioned i HATE brown/tan leather? it's the worst interior color ever. Who ever buys tan leather interior should be shot.

don't want an audi. only one i'd own would be an S4. The A-series does nothing for me. I'd slap some leather seats in a passat before i bought an A4 i think...

there's no way the SC300 gets good miloeage. its heavy, and has a big ass v6 in it.

back to the drawning board....

My new daily driver is 30 years old :)

It meets all of your prequisites, but lacks power steering and AC. And power windows. And adjustable seats. And it doesn't have "Vent" as an option on the temperature logicon. You gotta pull a series of cables to get vent.

:)

Threadjack suspense begins !

i'm sure phyregod will sell you one of his boats.

Yeah, I have one for sale.. um... slightly used... :p

P.S. How far do you commute every day??

Last edited:
used hybrid insight and call it a day. nice interior, nice seats, nice gauge cluster. 60 / 65 MPG
insight-rear.jpg

Used 2001-2002 all day for around 10k
So its not the coolest car who gives a shit you have an sti to do your cruisin.

my fathers car lot is here in Maine where i live. I know its a haul but the cra is worth it. Its def mint. I think the book is still aorund 13k. If your still interested as it seems its the only car u havent completely shot down yet, let me know, pm me or whatever and ill get u some pics. Auburn Maine to be specific. fairly southern so not to bad of a haul.

MikeBergy said:
So buy an older one...

I'll say it again, way to over shoot his target price by 14K

I was looking for a TSX for about 2 months. brand new they list 26K with out nav 28K with nav, used they range from 24-26K and just like the IS300 90% of them are all autos. 6 speed TSXs are in demand so getting a good deal on one is pretty much not going to happen.

so once again used 2004 TSX (first year) goes for around 24K with 40-50K miles in this area. I've seen some for 20-21K but when I looked into any car under 24K they all had tons of carfax reports come up.

La_Pieuvre said:
I'd look into a 2001-2002 VW Passat. You can easily find them under $10K and it would be enough for a daily driver. FWD, 1.8T (with ok power), mid to upper 20s MPG and has more class than an econobox.
he said reliable

driver1 said:
we currently at my fathers car lot have an 02 honda accord ex, leather, roof, completely loaded with 48k on the ticker for around 10.8k very nice car and a lil classier than the civic and still gets good mielage with tha vtak yo! oh also its a rare 5 speed, we are the second owners and know the previous owners. the woman ordered it from honda with a five speed. quite possibly the only newer accord ex loaded that ive ever seen with a stick. also color is silver.
I've seen a bunch of the newer Accords with 5 speeds, but the thing is they are the F22's. they didn't offer a 5 speed with the V6. The last gen. of Accords did come with a 6 speed option with the V6 though.. A friend of mine has an 01 accord V6, I/H/E and it is really nice. he still gets good ass gas mileage and that thing sounds mean when you step on the gas. its a really nice car, even for an auto. I hate autos in cars with a passion, but this is definately one auto car i'd drive anyday.

honda insight FTW :)

A- something that doesn't suck --- the insight is a kick ass little car
B- is fun to drive --- very fun to drive... handles well... pretty quick for what it is
C- stock --- no one makes anything for it so you dont have much choice but to leave it stock
D- not one of Calyton's projects ( :D ) --- too new ;)
E- gets mid 20's city/high 20s highway or better MPG --- gets 20mpg at 110mph
G- must be a 5-speed. --- yep
H- must not be american. --- nope
I- around $10k is the most i want to spend. --- 00 -02 you could probably find them in or under that price range
J- needs to be stupid reliable. I can't afford a break down on the highway (normal maintence is not a big issue... so long as its scheduled) --- yep... hasnt needed much of anything so far

Short of buying an american car, I don't think you're going to see the gas mileage, reliability, or power that you want.

The M3 is your best solution, and they certainly make it to far more than 175k - try just like the German diesels they can make it to 300k without issue, in many cases. You're just being too rough.

The other option would be a V8 american car, which you're going to say you hate. Best gas mileage, power, and cool factor goes to a C4.

You're not going to be able to fulfill all your requirements - you couldn't even do that with the $30,000 it took to buy the STi. So that means you're not going to be able to do it for $10,000. Basically you want all the things that the STi had, and more for $20,000 less.

M3 or Corvette. Not quite super cars, but were the tops of their classes and now they're reasonable WITH MILES, otherwise you're just completely out of your price class and you're SOL.

As I mentioned and someone else did, the V6 Accord is auto - so you're out there. You have a late model Integra, C4 Corvette, Mid 90's Mustang, Mid 90's M3, Mid 90's S4, Maxima/2.5L Altima, Camry, F-body, Miata, Civic Si, Mid/Late 90's 3 series, slightly out of the price range for a Volvo S40, etc.

Basically you're going to turn your nose up at all of those and those are most of your choices that I've gone through with major manufacturers and cars that may be suitable. I know this, because I want exactly what you want from a car - and pretty much have always agreed with the kind of car you want but after doing much research there's not one thats suitable for EVERYTHING that we want for the money.

Since no one mentioned it, although it doesn't have much space - a stock miata or turbo'd miata might be a good option. Fun, nimble, can take the top off for summer, good gas mileage, cheap to maintain and repair, not much space, possibly too girly.

Right now for a second car I'd love to get into a M3, turbo'd S2k or miata thats been worked over, IS300 w/ stick + turbo, S4, S40 T5 + evolve kit. Those are the cars I go by and wish for sometimes and they would fit most of our requirements BUT obviously are out of the price range except for the miata.

Last edited:
Back