Help me choose an engine for my 89crx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

89crx

I have an 89 hf crx and i'm looking to swap the engine and tranny and then throw a turbo in on. I have read/ heard about tons of combos but i'm not sure what i'm looking for or what to get or if i can get a stock engine and drop it in or if i should modify it a bit...i just want to have it as a second car that will be my "big boy toy" quick off the line street leagel and sounds good advice plz. thanks

def lookin' for forced induction and i'm aimin for high torque low accel times and between 2 and 300 hp at this point i'm almost convinced the the 2.2 prelude engine will do it for me but then i realized how heavy those would be on a crx chasis but therotically (i believe its the engine in a crv) b20 would give me the torque but i dunno thanks for you help by the way i really appericate it

power per dollar...i never thought of that so should i keep the engine i have put some lightwieght internals in turbo and maybe a stronger tranny?

200 sounds pretty good...i don't rele plan on racin anyone anyway and whats your opinion on trannys?

yes it does.. but if its boosted then its still gonna haul ass and it'll help with traction problems

What about boosting a DOHC ZC? It will bolt right in and you can use all your stock mounts and tranny even.

Well I would say stay with the D-series motors, because they bolt right in. Which saves you money on mounts, and D's are cheaper than B's

And since you want forced induction, I would also say stay with the D-series motors. Because once you add everything all up that you need to turbo a motor youll be right around $2K-$4K. Unless of course you junkyard turbo or do somekind of low budget building.

Good Luck!

Built turbo D; Si transmission, DOHC ZC 3rd and 4th, with DX or DOHC ZC final drive(3.88:1)/OBX LSD.. If you're taking it to the track; invest on a good multi-level boost controller...run lower boost on the launch and have it on full boost by like 3rd gear.

The D16Z6 will require the motor mount and bracket from the old engine.

Last edited:
Stay with the D for this budget.
If your looking for 250 whp, you're better off adding forged pistons or something to that effect, but you can leave it stock and be ok with a good tune.

Ls Turbo

do a b18b swap then throw a turbo in it and you'll be hitting 12's at the track all day long_________________________________________________________

Back