Help me decide my next car

What car?

• Yaris

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • GSX

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

If it breaks, I'll make a point of it to post it up on here just for this thread ;)

Engine is in fact a 7 bolt, but a later generation which has a revised split-thrust crank bearing. Doing everything I can think of to reduce stress on it too--no clutch safety so I can start the car without having to clutch it, leave it neutral at stop lights (lazy anyways), etc etc. Nothing's gone wrong yet *knock on wood* except that it won't pass emissions, but I just found a way around that too!

The local drag strip changed rules this season and requires a fire jacket on top of a helmet if you have an aftermarket turbo. I'll have numbers up as soon as I can find someone to let me borrow theirs, and THEN I'll post about it breaking :D

So, as promised, I'll detail the problems I have with the car.

First of all, the ECU does not see any signal from the speedometer apparently.
Secondly, for one reason or the other the MIL is not functioning and is screwing me from passing emissions.
Thirdly, I switched to my old engine management system which has been on the fritz and keeps losing my settings for one reason or another.
Fourthly, it's only getting 40 lbs/min airflow even after being corrected for metering issues. Hopefully it'll hit 45-50 with the extra boost the engine wants.

sounds like someone got a hold of that ECU and disabled everything... I confess that I know a few people have done that to people when they come in for tunes... they'll say their MIL (CEL) was never on, and after reading the chip in it, found out that their program was nothing but a p30 program with rev limit at 12k (or something rediculous) and all sensors etc. off.

I hope you get it worked out. :)

So, as promised, I'll detail the problems I have with the car.

First of all, the ECU does not see any signal from the speedometer apparently.
Secondly, for one reason or the other the MIL is not functioning and is screwing me from passing emissions.
Thirdly, I switched to my old engine management system which has been on the fritz and keeps losing my settings for one reason or another.
Fourthly, it's only getting 40 lbs/min airflow even after being corrected for metering issues. Hopefully it'll hit 45-50 with the extra boost the engine wants.

Sounds like new engine management and a tune might fix your problems. You might be able to use an engine management system to tune the MIL sensor to a certain range so you pass emissions.

In my WRX, I have my O2 sensors tuned by a Cobb AccessPORT so I don't throw any codes and fail inspection as well as tuning the TGV sensors out of range, so even though they sensors are unplugged I'm still good.

Disabling the checks causes the readout to become "Not ready" or something like that, but I did find a way to actually set them to "Pass" or w/e it is. Shh:ph34r:

As far as the MIL, I have no idea what's up with that. It's got a connection to the ECU, so hopefully it's something stupid like the bulb going out.

Well son of a bitch, the last guy has the main harness all chopped up to feed the MSD-DIS2 which he really didn't need. This explains why my ECU doesn't have backup power and resets itself whenever I take the key out, as well as why there's no vehicle speed sensor input to it anymore. Worse yet they're the wires he cut are held on by vampire clips, so it's only a matter of time until something disconnects and I lose ignition while driving around.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck! :(

Another update for no apparent reason--
Fixed the wiring and now the ECU gets backup power and the speedometer reading. Put the old MBC back on it and tried emulating the last guy's tune as far as the timing map and boost goes. Currently it's set to 25-26 psi of boost with 12* peak timing advance with no knock through 3rd gear. Didn't have my laptop on me though so I don't have an airflow reading, but it definitely jumped up. A lot.

Next on the list is to install the wideband either Saturday or Sunday so I can stop running the stock ~9.5:1 fuel map. Beyond that, all that's left to do is re-learn how to drive it then hit the track. Unfortunately they changed the rules this season and require all cars with either a blower or turbo swap to have fire jackets now, so it will take a while.

Back