Help me decide on new tires

What ones????

• Kumho MX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Potenza

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

asmallsol

Super Moderator
I am stuck between these three tires...

azenies

Potenza S03

Kumho's MX

Well, here is the reason why I just didn't go straight to the azenies. Major factor is the rain capiblities. This fall I am going up to tech, were they get a decent amount of rain in the fall. I am going to take my car up there for "spirted" driving. With both the s03 and the MX's, they are great in the rain. Also, since I will be doing alot of highway driving, were is slightly an issue (but not much)

The run down on each tire.

Azenies -
Stick like glue,
get greasy with alot of hard use,
Stiff sidewall,
suck at water,
fairly heavy, and
wear pretty fast.

S03's. Had them before, loved them for the most part. Very sticky,
EXTREMLY stiff sidewall,
great at water until treadlife is below 40% or so. Treadlife is ok, only slightly better then the azenies. They weigh a little less then the azenies.
Also, great grip great even before they heat up.

MX Have heard alot of mix reviews
GREAT in the rain
weigh the least out of these three tires
Better treadlife
sh*tty sidewall (which I have heard upping the PSI can cominsate)
Little less grip then the azenies.

I will be using these as my Daily driver tires, however, as always, I will be hitting up autocross's again, and also want to hit Gingerman a few more times this summer.

Prices are all about the same within about $20. For the azenies, I can get them mounted for 310 a set. With the MX and the Potenza's, I will have to pay for shipping then mounting, so probally the diffrence will be alot more. Back when I had the potenza's, even though they were around 70-75 a tire, after shipping and mounting, the total was closer to $100

If you're looking for a daily driver tire in a lot of rain, I would say that the Azenis are out. Based on all the mixed reviews of the MX (I haven't driven on them yet), I would go with the S-03. It's got a much more solid reputation, and you've already had a set so you know how it behaves.

I Have the Kumho MX's they are alot better than the Yokohama ES100's that I had.
The center ridge on the yokos peeled on one tire after I went to the track!!!! So americas tire store replaced them with the Kumho's for me.
as for better than the others I haven't tried any of those yet.
very nice grip in the rain and tire wear is 220 i believe. I was looking to get the lowest traction wear (Stickiest) I could without getting street slicks. and so far so good.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 7 2004, 04:42 PM
If you're looking for a daily driver tire in a lot of rain, I would say that the Azenis are out. Based on all the mixed reviews of the MX (I haven't driven on them yet), I would go with the S-03. It's got a much more solid reputation, and you've already had a set so you know how it behaves.

see avatar

Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 7 2004, 11:42 AM

:withstupid: best advice of the thread. hands down.

I say the kumho MXs, they are cheap, and much lighter than the Azenis, and have some decent wet traction, and over all just as good as the Azenis in terms of grip. IMO the s-03s are way pricey for what they are, and they are not that light. I have the MXs on my Miata and I love them.

Chalk up another for the Potenzas.

I have a set of Azenis and I love them to death. But then again, it doesn't rain much here in Spokane. The Azenis are great, but if you want to drive less than carefully in the rain I'd say go for the Potenza's. It's sounds as if you have your heart partially set on them anyway.

Here is the other delima, Cost.

MX - around 75 a tire online, then another 10 or so for shipping, then another 10 or so for Installion. Thats with no warrenty total after everything said and done, close to 95-100 a tire

S03's - In my size around 81 a tire (I know someone with a Bussiness account at TireRack.com) then again another 20 or so for shipping and instal. About 100-105 a tire

Azenies Called around today on them, I found a discount tire that will match there old price of 79 a tire, and thats with complete installed with road hazard.

Azenies are almost looking better here. I could always just drive slower when it rains?

:thumbsup: S03's...my buddy scares the shit out of me with these tires in the rain...they will just not let go, I wish I could afford them...

i ran the azenis all year.

there is 0 reason why you can't do 60 in the rain with them. i did it all the time.

80- you shoudln't be doing that shit in the rain anyway.

if its downpouring, you should'nt be doing 40.

blaming a tire on your lack of self control is a horrible reason to not get the best tire on the list.

azenis. hands down.

shall i link the movie of e spinning out and crashing again?

:D

oh, yeah, and he was on mx's

i wanted the azenis when i just got my new rims and i love them but they wouldnt work,i just got a set of sumitomo tires for $75 bucks a piece not bad and stick like a mother fucker.i havent had them in the rain yet though but i am satisfied.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 8 2004, 12:18 AM
i ran the azenis all year.

there is 0 reason why you can't do 60 in the rain with them. i did it all the time.

80- you shoudln't be doing that shit in the rain anyway.

if its downpouring, you should'nt be doing 40.

blaming a tire on your lack of self control is a horrible reason to not get the best tire on the list.

azenis. hands down.

shall i link the movie of e spinning out and crashing again?

:D

oh, yeah, and he was on mx's

Hmm. I live in Texas, soon to be moving back to Houston. Our speed limits are realistically 90mph, and that's in the rain. Cops pass you and don't care if you're 20 over, because they're cruising at 100 to get wherever they're going. If you don't drive fast, it takes you forever to get anywhere in Houston.

So, hurricane-like downpour = speed limit, regular rain = 20 over or more. Dry = 30+ over. Simple. Go any slower and you'll get runover by every other person on the highway, including the cops. Rain traction is good.

B dont try to blame that on the tires ... that was pure driver error .... if i didnt go in WAY to hot i wouldnt have lost the ass end ... if i went full throttle instead of holding it steady i probly would have been able to pull out of it

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jul 8 2004, 02:42 AM
B dont try to blame that on the tires ... that was pure driver error .... if i didnt go in WAY to hot i wouldnt have lost the ass end ... if i went full throttle instead of holding it steady i probly would have been able to pull out of it

:lol: I know, but i had too :lol:

and also mike, texas is a lot different than michigan- especailly upstate where its even less populated. there's no one to run you over in the first place :)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 8 2004, 09:08 AM
:lol: I know, but i had too :lol:

and also mike, texas is a lot different than michigan- especailly upstate where its even less populated. there's no one to run you over in the first place :)

:werd: The upper pennisula is a diffrent world. It makes canada look like LA.

Really, I am only going to be on the azenies for maybe a month and a half up there. After that, I will be switching to snow tires. My freind who went to Tech last year said there first snowfall was stember 28. On top of that, he said they had a strech of 30 days were it snow every day, and alot of the time, it was over 8inches a day. We will see how good my car is at snow rallies :)

Map of where Houghton is Eh!

Yea, they get lake effect like a bitch.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Jul 8 2004, 08:08 AM-->
and also mike, texas is a lot different than michigan- especailly upstate where its even less populated. there's no one to run you over in the first place

Ah, I was just comparing rainy areas to each other. ;)

If there's nobody to run you over, that just means you have that much more room to go faster... if you want to. :lol:

asmallsol
@Jul 8 2004, 08:54 AM
The upper pennisula is a diffrent world. It makes canada look like LA.

Really, I am only going to be on the azenies for maybe a month and a half up there. After that, I will be switching to snow tires. My freind who went to Tech last year said there first snowfall was stember 28. On top of that, he said they had a strech of 30 days were it snow every day, and alot of the time, it was over 8inches a day. We will see how good my car is at snow rallies

Ah, ok. I wasn't even thinking about snow. Houston sees snow maybe once every 8 years, and only about half an inch at that- Dallas sees snow maybe 3-4 days out of each year, and it's 3-4 inches tops. You just tough it out on your summer tires and everything is ok. If you have to switch to snows anyway and can stand driving slow in the rain, just get the Azenis. Don't try to run a road course with them on though.

i am not impressed with the S03's after riding in a car with them on the track. good street tire, but over priced in my opinion. i'm on mx's right now and once they heat up the grip is that of the azenis. next weekend is my first track event on the mx's so we'll see how they do.

Let me know- I'm very interested in finding out how they do on the road course. I know for sure that I haven't been impressed at all with the Azenis once they heat up too much- they're purely an autocross tire to me.

Back