Help Me Decide

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brc80

Ok guys i have a b16 in my 90 integra. My mods are Aem cai, Dc 4-1 Header, Full 2.25 cat back. My question sould i spend the money on my head( ie. cams, valve train.) Or should i do a b20 bottom end with my stock b16 head. What would you guys do? And what should i be expecting to pay for either option. Thanks for the help.

i know theres a shop here in southern cali i got a quote from and it was $1,300 to swap a 2.0 bottom end to my b16. they have one at their shop, stock bottom end with headwork. runs mid to high 12s

That's bullshit. The stock bottom end only yields in the high 9's for compression. You aren't going to run mid 12's on any stock bottom B20/VTEC.

If I were you, brc80, I'd get the bottom end built with like 11.5:1 pistons and forged rods and have it tuned really well. Torque is your friend.

So what your saying is, head work on my b16 will yeild more power then just a stock b20 bottom end?

Headwork on your B16 will yield more than just a stock B20 bottom end. However, nice cams, cam sprockets, valvesprings, retainers, and a good PnP will cost around $1500-1700. I'll bet you could have one mean B20 bottom end for that much.

Plus, the B20 provides buttloads of torque over that B16 of yours. And torque is what is going to put a big smile on your face when combined with that second set of lobes.

Plus, what I said before about the B20/VTEC was that a stock bottom B20/VTEC wasn't going to pull a honda into the 12's unless it was gutted like a fish. But, I think a stock bottom B20 VTEC would probably put down the same whp as the B16 just on displacement alone. Plus, the extra 20-25 lbft of tq doesn't hurt either.

And what should expect to pay for a stock b20 bottom end?

tell your mom to spread her legs, cuz sonny, daddys coming home!

i would do the headwork,,,,

and build a strong bottomend up properly on the side,,,,,once its done do the swap over.

D15B y0!

lol

naw...

if it were my ride... I'd do the head work. chances are you can do most that in a day or a weekend at best and be back on the road again.

doing a block = uber work. basically, you have to re-swap your motor.
and i'm lazy. :) so i'd do the headwork, and call it a day.

then, i'd save for and build up a bad-ass bottom end, and when that is done, i'd go for the full swap with the bad ass bottom with my bad ass top that i already have.

Back