Help me get on the right path from people with experience

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

donthamon

Hello, I own a 2000 mustang gt. I'm building on the side once I get some more money from flipping cars and work.

So in the mean time I decided to think about a good daily car. I do not like slow cars or anything, don't question me, its just my mojo :D. I looked into many cars, but Honda was always in the back of my head due to the low weight, easy tunning, CHEAP parts, looks, and good gas mileage.

I've been researching civics and flipping through topics and looking up prices.
I found that I wanted to go with a EJ2 Coupe since I found lots for about $2,000 dollars and less, so I can probably talk someone down to about $1,000-$1500. My plan is to have a all around street car, good handling so possibly a better suspension, and a definite build on the engine.
My budget is going to be about $6,000, I want to stick around the price.

I decided I wanted to go with:
- B16C1-5 Block *Should I go with a different block? also I believe I will need a different chip for OBD2?
- LS Head, or VTEC Head Depending on money What should I do for the head?
- All Forged Aluminium Bottom End
- Y80 or S80 Transmission *How much toque and/or horsepower will it handle?
- Stronger axles?
- A turbo from Cxracing, including all the pipping​

I'm just mainly asking for support on giving me a guide in the right direction for my first Honda build, let me know what you think

If your budget is $6000, I would personally try to find a B18C or B18B and start building a turbo kit. Then I would acquire the right suspension, differential, brakes, and wheels and tires. You don't need stronger axles any time soon. The aluminum forged bottom end isn't going to be necessary.

What's your city/state's emissions set up? That may drive what you want to do for a daily driver. you won't get an obd2 car through smog with an obd1 ecu powering it, which is common to allow for tuning.

I'm probably going to go with a B18C1 block since I seen lots of them. IMO id rather build up the bottom end just to make sure the reliability is safe, how much hp is the stock B18C1 Crank, rods, pistons good for? I plan on sucking it up and building up the bottom end because its hard to do that later on.. And I live in New Jersey, as for emissions do you think I should just get a obd2 ecu? Thank you fro the replies. I think I may just work on building up the handling later on, but I do think I might need better axles, I do not want anything failing because this will be a daily. I plan on going for the 300hp range. A Y80 should do the trick for a B18C1? alike this one?

Attachments

• Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    149.1 KB · Views: 283
275-300 is about the upper range of 'safe' on a stock internal motor. stock axels will hold as long as you aren't running slicks and doing 8k launches. but it's up to you if you want to dump more into it. stock tranny is fine too... try to get a limited slip though. clutch will be what you want to upgrade.

ej2 is obd1, i don't know wtf i was thinking above.

so, odds are, your car is going to go on the rollers, not get the obd port scan (i don't know what they do there, but that's what happens here).

so, you should be ok.

if you fail, do a search here for "E vs emissions" to see how to pass :)

Great thread link! And thanks for the great advice, and I absolutely do not want to push 300 hp on stock internals because I don't think its reliable to push it to its limit, id rather suck it up and spend extra on all forged internals and keep up my limits safe! :thumbsup: Also what about the flywheel as well as the clutch? So the S80 Trans will work with the B18C1 Motor? Lots of questions sorry lol!

yup, any b-series hydro tranny is good. there's a few variations of s80s though. if you havne't bought the swap yet, i'd suggest you just get the full jdm Sir-g b18c w/ the limited slip and you're 90% there out of the box.

clutch should match the flywheel. sometimes you can jus re-surface the stock one. depends on the clutch set up you go with.

Not to hi-jack the thread but this raises a question I had about my build, should I get a GSR tranny before I boost my LS teggy? Right now i'm running a stock LS tranny
Also to the OP: I'm excited to see how your build works out. Sounds like you did your research too which is good.

changing out a trans is a 2 hour job... it's not at the level of detail that doing internals would require. plus, you can sell the old one and recoup some $ on the back end.

If the goal is to get a limited slip in there (and it should be if you're going to make any power) then it might be a good idea to do it first.
if you're going to do any gear-based boost tuning (ie, 6psi in 1st, 10 in 2nd, 15 in 3+) with an electric boost controller, having the right gear ratios in place first is a good isea.
etc

changing out a trans is a 2 hour job... it's not at the level of detail that doing internals would require. plus, you can sell the old one and recoup some $ on the back end.

If the goal is to get a limited slip in there (and it should be if you're going to make any power) then it might be a good idea to do it first.
if you're going to do any gear-based boost tuning (ie, 6psi in 1st, 10 in 2nd, 15 in 3+) with an electric boost controller, having the right gear ratios in place first is a good isea.
etc

Agreed. IMHO, the transmission is a vital part of the whole build process. Today, I would make it driveable. But in the long run, you should build the transmission from top to bottom just like the engine. Manage your gear ratios, final drive, LSD, etc. It's a whole separate build.

Back