Help me out yall

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

efhondakid

My name is Byron.
I cant figure this one out, 89 DX B16 swapped converted to OBDI. At a friends house last night go to leave and the starter just clicks like the battery is dead, turn the lights on, bright. Check the terminals and theyre tight. Bump start it pull out turn the lights on and the car stumbles and breaks up, turn them off and it runs fine, get it home and park it for the night. This morning it does the same thing, bump it and get it to work and check all the grounds go to see if its trhowin any codes and I get the famous solid CEL. Check fuses and theyre all good. Im stumped.

Cleaned up the thermostat ground and reset the ECU and it started right up with no CEL. Damn electrical gremlins. :dunno:

man i hate electrical crap lol, maybe that fixed it and wont come back

Nope, did it again after I got home from work, thinking perhaps the alt isnt charging the battery. After you drive for a few miles the tach will freak out and stop working, radio shuts off not long after that, and then dash clock goes dim, going to have it tested tomorrow. :dunno:

my 85 did that a few months ago. the wire on the alternator had come loose

Nope, did it again after I got home from work, thinking perhaps the alt isnt charging the battery. After you drive for a few miles the tach will freak out and stop working, radio shuts off not long after that, and then dash clock goes dim, going to have it tested tomorrow. :dunno:
yup thats what its sounding like

yeah, def sounds like a grounding issue. if you have some 8g amp wire laying around, make a few extra grounds

Sounds like the starter solenoid is extending the drive gear but not spinning it. Common. New starter or solenoid. Adding a bunch of extra grounds is not the solution. That system should perform fine with OE grounds. Also, check your battery voltage off and running. Report back.

Bingo. Take your alt to Autozone or something and get it tested. It sounds as if it isn't charging at all. It's probably killing your battery and it doesn't have near enough juice to twist the motor.

i agree with mr underrated... he is....lol time to hit craigslist?

Fuck maybe I dont know.I was just talking out my ass. You meant 92-93 is obd1. obd2 = 96+

New starter or solenoid valve. Add a bunch of extra reason not solve the problem. The reason for the OE system should perform fine. Also,Tera Gold check your battery voltage and run...

Back