help me pick a monitor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

AHHVTEC

VIP
well im gonna need a little help with this one im wanting something that i can view movies and videos on that has better picture quality to it. but i have no clue about any of this stuff this is what i have in link 1 but in the 2nd and 3rd link is what im thinking about getting. what im needing to know is this a upgrade from what i already have.help me pick the best of the 2 thanks.

AOC 917Sw TFT 19 inch Monitor / by Manufacturer / PC Monitors catalog / PC Monitors catalog

Acer H243Hbmid 24" Widescreen HD LCD Monitor - 1920 x 1080, 40000:1 Dynamic, 2ms, HDMI, DVI, VGA, Energy Star, Tilt Mount, HDCP, w Speakers ET.FH3HP.002 at CircuitCity.com

I-Inc iF251HPB 25" Widescreen HD LCD Monitor - 2ms, 1920x1080, 3000:1 Contrast Ratio, HDMI, VGA, Tilt Stand, with Speakers at CircuitCity.com

My wife and I use Samsung brands. Both are 20" wide screens. We bought them from a company called NCIX. Their website is: www.ncix.com They are based out of Vancouver Canada. I bough mine as an open box and saved a bundle. Hers was almost $300.00 but well worth it. We buy all our stuff from there and had no problems. Very fast shipping right to the house.

how about this 24" 1080p dell for $185?
Dell S2409W 24" 1080p Wide Screen Flat Panel Monitor $185 or $178 - SlickDeals.net Forums

it has hdmi, vga and dvi.

anyway, most cheap monitors are TN panels and theyre generally good for everything. theyre isnt much difference between them now except customer service and build quality like bleeding or dead pixels. however, if you want a specific type of monitor ie gaming, moving or photo or something youll need to look into more expensive ones that are IPS or something like that.

and ive had pretty good luck with acer monitors. good and cheap, just dont by the laptops.

im not a real big fan of dell, out of the 2 that i have listed witch one is better as far as watching movies and such

im not a fan of dell either but they make excellent monitors because they use samsung and lg panels. im not sure who makes this particular model.

anyway, like i said, ive had good experience with acer monitors, but never hread of the I-Inc brand. for watching movies, spec'd-wise the I-Inc has a better viewing angle which is important if youre not going to be starting straight at the monitor and its slightly bigger than the acer. but thats about it. its warranty is horrid at 1 year, its 30 freaking lbs and it uses 88watts (WTF?). the acer has a better 3 year warranty, higher contrast ratio (good for movies because levels of darkness should be better) and uses only 33 watts.

so my vote goes towards the acer. and ive seen this panel go for cheap ($190ish) so maybe wait or check Slickdeals.net - The best coupons, lowest prices, and hottest deals. often.

I have a Panasonic 42" Plasma 720p Viera tv I use as my monitor. I recommend this. :)

Last edited:
42" for a freakin monitor?! That's just ridiculous, how do you even see your icons? :p

I've always been a fan of Samsung monitors. I am using a 20" widescreen here at work and its resolution is beautiful.

Its my normal TV, I have one HDMI going to my desktop. Its handy, all you gotta do is set your resolution and center your screen.

I'm pretty sure its around the same resolution as it was on my crappy 800 million pound 17" monitor. Only difference was I couldn't sit across the room and surf the internet with the 17" monitor like I can now.

Best part is I can use my computer as a tv and watch movies/tv shows from places like hulu.com on my tv.

1080p is only 1920x1080. you can put it on any size monitor you want, and it will simply get bigger, not increase working space.

that's why i like my 30". its 2560x1600. has nearly twice the real estate of a 20", and everything is still normal sized.

Dell monitors aren't bad at all. The ultra sharps are actually pretty damn good.

but, why are you shopping at circuit city.... they are out of business

probably 3rd party like tiger direct running/buying compusa.com. also, i dont think any store runs their own website?? big corporate stores at least. my brother works for worst buy and he said its a totally separate entity and for the longest time they wouldnt price-match their "own" site but after they got sued, theyre doing it now.

anyway, b is right. however, you can gain more working space with increased resolution as you can fit more stuff on the screen because of increased pixels.

b i hope you have quad sli gtx295s to run crysis on your res :ph34r:

Back