Help Me Pick A TV!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16RacerN2NR

Working Hard
VIP
Well, me and the woman are looking to upgrade to a flat-screen Plasma or LCD. I don't know much about them but from my understanding the plasma's tend to be better at bringing out the color while the lcd's are better for the sharpness/ clearer picture ect... We went to Best Buy today and the plasma's seem to be cheaper and they don't look bad at all so we are leaning more towards that route unless there is a big flaw or something when it comes to the plasma tv's.

So what I need from you guys is your experience with either a plasma or lcd, which you like better, what brands are decent and fair priced, ect...

We are looking to get at the very least a 37 inch, 40 inch is ok, 42 inch would be ideal, and 52 inch would be the biggest we would like to go but are trying to stay away from strictly because of cost. We would be perfectly happy with a 42 incher but if you guys know of any 50 + inch flat screens that are decent quality and are around the same price as some 40 inchers, by all means link me to them.

Also, we are not looking for the best shit out there. Basically looking for the best bang for your buck TV. I've never watched anything in HDTV so I don't know if it is worth it or not? is it? My girlfriend is very simple and she see's HDTV as somewhat pointless since she is perfectly fine watching TV and movies the way they are now.

So any and all info is welcome. Oh and our budget is around $2000. So let me know what's up guys...:D

Please no arguing. You can state your opinion so we can all learn more but keep the bashing of someone's preference and the biased comments out of my thread. Thanks.

dlp is a big screen tv dude, not an lcd or plasma like deal.

lcd i'm probably going to buy:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mcDuCxOTVQ1/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=305lns4041&wm=cl

just a hair over your price range, and CF tends to be a little pricey (but you get what you pay for in CS) so you can probably score that for 2k elsewhere.
Other than that, I'd recommend the Sharp AQUOS.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mcDuCxOTVQ1/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=146350&I=284LC37D40

Those are the 2 i'm debating between for my room screen.

pissedoffsol said:
dlp is a big screen tv dude, not an lcd or plasma like deal.
Oh...well maybe I should of said that we want something that is 37 inches or bigger wether it be an LCD, Plasma, DLP... I just thought all the big screens now were plasma or lcd, sorry.

That Sharp one you lniked me to looks real nice.

Any pros and cons between the Plasma's, LCD's, and DLP's? I really don't know what half of the abbreviations mean lol All I know is LCD is Liquid Color Display...right? lol

plasma: prone to burn in (new ones not so much, but it still exists); nice contrast, good blacks, heavy, but thin, none in 1080p yet.
lcd: no burn in, contrast is getting better blacks tend to be "Grey", but new ones are better at it, only a couple models in 1080p, thin and lighter than plasmas.
DLP (dynamic light processing) can be LCOS (liquid crystal on silicone) LCD, or other stuff thats not popular. thicker, not wall mountable, plenty of 1080p models, cheaper per size than lcd or plasma, great blacks, great contrast ratio, great price.

I went with a DLP for my home theatre. the samsung 1080p. love it. its outstanding. need sunglasses sometimes :D

for my room, i'm going with a mid-30's lcd, because I want to wall mount it, and plasma is over-rated IMO. I had one. my dlp blows it away.

I think we are going to go with the DLP. Like you said, they are cheaper for the bigger sizes compared to the plasmas and lcd's. That's pretty much what we were looking for, we didn't need anything all fancy. I'm gonna go to circuit city, best buy, wal-mart, and costco to see what they got.

Any particular brands to stay away from besides Dell? I hear Gateway is pretty much Dell, that true?

dell/hp/gateway all buy 3rd party tiwaanesse screens. stay away from them all.

Samsung owns DLP
Sharp Aquos line owns LCD
Sony Bravia/XBR owns LCOS

get 1080p if you can. That will make sure you're future ready and won't have to upgrade in 2 or 3 years. its a couple hundred more, but will save you from having to/wanting to re-buy a new screen later on.
look for multiple HDMI inputs. 1 sucks. get at least 2, or again, you'll be looking to upgrade later on. DVD, blue ray, ps3, cable/satalette, etc will all be hdmi.soon enough. Or, you can get a tv with 1 hdmi, and a receiver like a denon that has hdmi switching, using the receiver as the hub to plug the inputs into, and then 1 out to the tv.

I read that it is well worth the $100-$200 to have a tuner come in and set up the picture quality. something about having factory settings all shitty. I thought it was something I could do myself, but I never heard from anybody. Can't remember where I read it though either.

Mine came pretty high from the factory in terms of contrast and brightness.

I have 4 modes/presets i can store:

dyanmic (daytime/bright room)
standard (standard color)
movie (dark rooms)
custom (whatever you want)

theres all the hue, saturation, and rgb and cmyk options you can imagine. so yeah, it can be tricky if you don't know what you're doing.

i turned down the brigtness about 40% and contrast about 20% on all options. This also helps saves lamp life.

I think we are going to just go the DLP route. Like you said, it's cost to size ratio owns the others and that's pretty much what we were looking for.

Any sites besides crutchfield that has some nice TV's?

pissedoffsol said:
get on im... need to shwo you something :p
indeed, what you showed me was lovely:D

I think I can watch what you showed me on what ever TV I decide to get;):lol:

oh BTW- Do you think Sharp makes a good DLP?

B16RacerN2NR said:
indeed, what you showed me was lovely:D

I think I can watch what you showed me on what ever TV I decide to get;):lol:

oh BTW- Do you think Sharp makes a good DLP?

bah, stop that :D that's for my viewing pleasure, not yours :D

As for the sharp DLP, i didn't even know they made them. I would pass on them. Sammy owns dlp-ville.

is DLP the best screen for a lot of movement? I like to watch action movies and a lot of sports and some of the other screens aren't very fluid. What's the deal with this?

crt is still the best, so they say... but i can't tell a damn thing bad about my dlp. there's no response time like lcd has.... its color chips/wheels

hmm...interesting nick, we like the same stuff so I hope the DLP is good for sports and action flicks.

checking that site out right now brc :)

Back