Help me pick my new project/toy

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
I'm really in the market for a Jeep, probably an XJ, but of course surfing CL I've come across some other things that have interested me. Pretty much I'm going to list some ads, with my pros and cons listed after each one. Just looking for opinions or "don't by that because in this year they had a serious problem with xx".

4x4s I'm looking for more of a ski trip vehicle/friend hauler, with some mild off road capability. Other stuff, just needs to be fun.

First the Jeeps

jeep cherokee xj-1994
Great looking Jeep. Looks to be maintained well, new parts, and wouldn't give me any problems. Price is a little more than I wanted to spend on an XJ though.

1996 Jeep Cherokee- MUST GO TODAY
Price is right. Mileage over 200k scares me, even with the 4.0L. Paint combo is pretty awful.

1992 JEEP CHEROKEE LAREDO 4x4 sale or TRADE
Looks to be well maintained. A little older than I wanted though.

Jeep cherokee-5 speed manual
5 SPEED! Price is right, but has rusted out passenger floor.

89 Jeep Cherokee
Older than I've been advised to get, but again, priced right.

Almost a Jeep
Landrover Discovery I 1995
I've heard Rovers are great off and on road. Seems like it would fit my specs right. IDK.

Fun cars/projects
1996 BMW 318ti, 160k mi
Seems like it could be fun. I don't remember if B actually liked his or not.

http://http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/3628613528.html
Looks like for not much I could have a fun C4. IDK, as long as it isn't too far gone.

1966 Ford Falcon four door Sedan. Nice Driver
Solid, classic driver. I've always liked the Falcons.

Classic 1964 impala 4 door trade updated new pics
Another solid driver, but may have more of a mass appeal for resale.

Again, these are just my random CL findings while looking for a new toy. Let me know what you think.

I actually love the Comanches, but they are few and far between.

I'm actually reading about a 4.0L swap into a YJ right now. I'd save a lot of money without an internet connection.

Never been a fan of Toyotas. I know they can be plenty capable, just not what I like.

IDK about a Forrester either. Seems like a compact station wagon to me.

Never been a fan of Toyotas. I know they can be plenty capable, just not what I like.

Not just capable, far more reliable .. one i listed has super low miles for the year too

That's awesome. Fred Flinstoning it huh? I really wish I had auto shop in high school. Even metal shop would have been helpful to my current hobbies.

Yeah we are kind of learning as we go. I am not a mechanic by trade but we have access to some good resources and I am learning just as much as the kids. I haven't had to be "two chapters ahead" since my first year teaching way back when but it is fun. I hope is to auction/raffle off this build to get another one next year and eventually get into to a "kit car" package year after year. There is another school in my state that does that and they are doing pretty well. We also have a pretty decent tech school with very helpful auto/body instructors that are neighbors of some of my students that have already offered to help out. We will see where it goes.

Not just capable, far more reliable .. one i listed has super low miles for the year too
Are you comparing 250k to 300k? The 4.0L is insanely reliable too, with minor maintenance. That's why there are so many old Jeeps for sale with 150k+ on them.

to hell w/ Jeeps.. go with a 4runner

This, but I would go for something older than 89.

And by the way, as someone who has owned a few bad-ass offroaders in the past - Nothing, I say NOTHING comes close to the amount of money that goes into these things. It's ridiculous.

Lets say you're like me, and want 40" tires on your 88 4runner. Well, get a helmet - Because to do it properly can run upwards of $5000 to $8000

Yes, you could just slap the tires and wheels on it, and go - But doing things properly are a totally different idea.

I'm not looking for a bad ass off-roader. After a time, I may give it a mild lift and tires. Not even looking to upgrade axles. This vehicle will spend 90-95% of it's life on road with gear in and on it. 4wd is barely an option on some of the roads in Upstate NY or VT though. But I wouldn't mind getting it muddy every now and again.

I'd steer clear from the Falcon and Impala depending how bad their rust is. I've never heard much bad about jeeps other than their vacuum 4x4 lock simply is crap, but after converting to manual locks their decent.

from 99 to 08, thats exactly what they are. except not compact, but a station wagon thats taller. length is about the same as the outback wagon. latest body is a full on suv.
but, they have plenty of room on the inside. i can fit all of my music gear, and i have a lot, trust me, in mine and still have room left.
also, i have a good sized armoire that i bought and transported inside of it with no problem .the guy i bought it from helped me carry it out, looked at my car and then stared blankly at me for a min and asked if i had somebody meeting me with a truck.

it fit, he was impressed. lol.

The Forester is a great body, with a sorta miserable driveline if snow isn't in your daily consideration. Around corners they tend to get squirrelly as well.

But it has the fuse-disabled AWD which might make it a real treat to own. There are actually some decent off-road kits for the body as well. I would personally own a first gen.

Back