Help me pick my new project/toy

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The Forester is a great body, with a sorta miserable driveline if snow isn't in your daily consideration. Around corners they tend to get squirrelly as well.

But it has the fuse-disabled AWD which might make it a real treat to own. There are actually some decent off-road kits for the body as well. I would personally own a first gen.

i disagree. i dont get much snow. actually, we pretty much get no snow here. but the drive train is great for dd, and a little offroad use. i dont slip going up the hill in my back yard after a rain.

and it corners fine, i do a little bit of enthusiastic driving at times, and my only complaint is that the struts are old as shit. mines a second gen. but i may be buying a first gen if i can ever get this lady to send me pics.

i disagree. i dont get much snow. actually, we pretty much get no snow here. but the drive train is great for dd, and a little offroad use. i dont slip going up the hill in my back yard after a rain.

and it corners fine, i do a little bit of enthusiastic driving at times, and my only complaint is that the struts are old as shit. mines a second gen. but i may be buying a first gen if i can ever get this lady to send me pics.

My only concern with owning an AWD in an area with no snow is that it's TERRIBLE on gas.

Seriously, disable that shit and watch your mpgs climb. My 84 wagon (Part time) gets about 32 in 2WD and about 12 in 4WD.

i average around 30mpg. mixed driving. when i took it on a road trip just interstate i got about 33.
i do more city driving than interstate, just city, i get about 27/28.

i have no complaints with my awd mileage.
i have buddies with jeeps (wranglers and cherokees) that complain about their mileage.
and mines more reliable.

If you're looking for this style jeep, this is a great find. I sold mine for $5000 and it was undrivable.

Beware : Solid front axles are LETHAL if the struts and springs are no good.
I'm looking for a fun 4x4. Honestly, I was looking for something to take on ski trips. A Wrangler doesn't fit the bill, but I've been looking for 3 months and now its March. A topless YJ is more fun in spring and summer than most any XJ. And YJs/TJs command a much higher dollar amount on resale. I expected this thing to be gone by the time I called the guy. I asked all the right questions, and it seems like it's just priced a little cheaper than most. We will see though.

As far as suspension goes, it's a Jeep. I'll replace the struts if I have to, but I don't expect a Cadillac ride either. Hell, my Integra has the originals in it. Thing rides like a hardtail at this point. But a 2nd vehicle will allow me to remedy that situation.

Last edited:
Buy it now and sell it in the fall. Enjoy a great summer man.

Buy it now and sell it in the fall. Enjoy a great summer man.
That's actually what I was thinking.

I'm going to go take a look at this tonight if the weather breaks.
88 jeep Cherokee
Wrong year, high miles, but it's claimed to be pristine and it's one town over. Worth a little gas to look at that price.

May also swing by this one on my way up north Sunday.
88 JEEP WRANGLE R PARTS or PROJECT CAR.. 6 CYL. 5 SPEED.. BLACK
Looks like a basket case, but I'll see what's up. Who knows.

I had an 85 Cherokee Pioneer with the V6.
Also a 90 Cherokee Laredo with the 4.0L inline 6. That 4.0 6 is a fucking tank of a motor.

Back