HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sabi670

okay, did a y8 mini-me swap onto a 96 y7. got everything to work, but now im getting a code 23 (knock sensor). i know the y8 ecu has a knock sensor input, but my y7 block doesn't have a knock sensor. the engine does not run as well as i think it should w/ the cel on.

anyway to fix it so the ecu wont go into limpdick mode?

please help. Im on an island where getting swap help is non existent.

come on man,.... someone's gotta know something about this.

I cant find anything on bypassing the knock sensor or how to get this swap to work without it in any of the forums.....

anyone?.......

yes i am running the y8 ecu.

i just learned i y7 blocks are supposed to have a knock sensor so i guess ill be looking for that pin to hook up to the ecu......

if anyone knows,... it will make it faster for me to get this thing going.... thanks.

y8s DO have a knock sensor. That's the problem. my y7 block DOESNT have one. Someone on another site said y7s do have a knock sensor, but i checked mine and it doesnt, it does however have a engine coolant temp. sensor where i was told the knock sensor would be.

Im thinking of just pinning a knock sensor into the ecu harness. I know that without it mounted on the engine itll be useless, but i figure that at least the ecu will see a knock sensor and wont go into limp mode. I guess i should just be careful to make sure the engine doesnt ping. Can anybody think of any reason why it wouldnt work, or should it work this way?

i dont think that will work bro,basically you gotta have a ecu that is made for the motor you have..maybe you can find someone on this site or others that can do some custom work for you..good luck

one possible fix is to run a P28 ecu on it. but you will need a a OBD1-OBD2 ecu adaptor harness. I think you can pick one of those up for about $100. check out the link i included, scroll down past the ecu programs and you will see it towards the bottom of the page. they are selling it for $99 shipped.

ecu adaptor harness from JDMshit.com

thanks rsaeini. i just picked up a knock sensor. Im going to try pinning it into the y8 ecu harness hoping it sees it okay. If that doesnt work, then ill try what you suggested. Thanks.

Im finding this mini-me thing isnt as easy as it seems to be made out to be. Ill post everything i did as soon as i get it running right. Hopefully itll help out others who are also thinking about doing this swap......

So where did ya end up putting the knock sensor itself? Are ya gonna tap a spot on the engine?

Hey i'm having the same problem with my F23 turbo but me and a nother dude sat down over a 6pack and came up with this idea .... if you think about it might work ... all any sensor is, is a variable resistor...... (get it yet) all you have to do is measure the resistance of a known good knock sensor once you get that ohmage go to radio shack and buy a resistor w/ the same ohms hook that up to your knock sensor harness and that should trick the ecu into thinking that its getting a good reading from the knock sensor ... but the only down side to that is you realy wont have a knock sensor ... but if you always in the motor that shouldnt hurt it !

Back