Help me with LSD decision for '99 GSR

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

moomtazz

Hello, this is my first post here. I've been checking out the site tonight and it looks pretty informative. I'll be looking for alot of different advice in the future, but for now I'd like some feedback about a LSD.

I have a '99 GSR that just flipped 100k miles. It had 64k when I bought it 2 years ago. I've put a DC sports header, AMS CAI, and Greddy SP2 exhaust on it so far, but I'm thinking about turbocharging. I haven't done a compression check, but the car *seems* to still run very strong.

If I do go with the turbo, I definitely want to have an LSD. A potential problem is that I've noticed a little trouble shifting from neutral to 1st when stopped. The tranny has 100k miles on it, and I'm not sure what I should be planning for. I'm thinking I could either buy a new ITR tranny with the LSD on it for about $1800, or buy a Quaife LSD for my stock GSR tranny and I guess rebuild the tranny.

If the Quaife is about $900 though, I'm wondering if I should just buy the ITR tranny and sell my GSR one. Assuming I could sell mine for $500, the ITR would be about $1300. Would there be any benefit to an ITR tranny vs. a rebuilt GSR with a Quaife LSD?

I know this project will be expensive, but I'd like to avoid blowing money unnecessarily. (I realize that is an oxymoron when talking about modifying a perfectly fine car)

Is The Itr Tranny A Jdm Or Usdm? Jdm Itr Trannys Has A 4.7 Final Drive. If You Get The Itr Tranny And Sell Your Gsr Tranny You'll Have A Itr Tranny With Lsd+ A Better Final Gearing For 400.00 Dollars More. Thats Just My 0.02 Cents

Is The Itr Tranny A Jdm Or Usdm? Jdm Itr Trannys Has A 4.7 Final Drive. If You Get The Itr Tranny And Sell Your Gsr Tranny You'll Have An Itr Tranny With Lsd+ A Better Final Gearing For 400.00 Dollars More Than The Quaife Lsd. Thats Just My 0.02 Cents..........

Good question. After further reading I see only the JDM tranny would make sense for the final drive, or perhaps just the final drive off of one. I am also running P205/40R17 tires.

Another thing to consider, with only H/I/E I am getting some wheel spin in 1st and chirping 2nd, with turbo would a 4.7 final drive be counterproductive? (Thinking I'll have 275-325 whp when done)

Last edited:
Back