1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help me with my 98 civic ex!

Discussion in 'Civic and del Sol - EG and EK' started by ek98coupe, Dec 19, 2009.

1. ek98coupe

ek98coupe New Member

Two questions- I have a 98 civic ex with a d16y8 in it with a 2p2 ecu in it. Do the d16y8 motors have v-tec? And if so anyone know why it would not be working? It is completely stock also.

2. eg'sforlife

eg'sforlife New Member

whats to say its not working.....if its stock you want notice the vtec change over nor really hear it... because 1st properly working vtec should be a seamless changeover
    2nd its a sohc which means vtec is only on one side.... intake valves i think dont hold me to that...

3. josh_crewdson@y

josh_crewdson@y New Member

yes, the d16y8 is a sohc vtec motor. only the intake valves have vtec. its very hard to hear the crossover with stock intake and exhaust unless you know what rpm crossover is at and what it sounds like. if you want to hear it put a short ram intake on it, you'll hear it at about 5500rpm.

4. josh_crewdson@y

josh_crewdson@y New Member

by the way the ecu is a p2p. as long as you dont have any cel's it should be working. run it to 7000rpm in 2nd gear (60mph), it should pull nice and even, and if you listen closely at 5500rpm you'll hear the engine tone change a lil bit. only if it starts to lose acceleration after 5500 id check it out.

5. ek98coupe

ek98coupe New Member

98 civic ex

Ok thank you guys I really appreciate it. I have been out of the honda game for too long but glad to be back in it.

6. Slow&Delirious

Slow&Delirious isn't fast or furious

I have had that argument with people before, just because the Valve cover does not say HONDA VTEC does not mean its not, but like eg'sforlife said it is such a subtle change over you would never be able to tell. But chances are, if its an EX its either VTEC-e or SOHC VTEC (depending on year). Like my 01 civic ex has air intake exhaust and headers and i still cant feel or hear a change over, but hey thats me

7. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

:werd:

The D16Y8 definitely is VTEC, but it's one of the few VTEC engines that doesn't have it printed on the valve cover...

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted