HELP ME WITH MY ZC CRX!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

word my zc tranny is a pain to put back on and my motor was out of the car. if you need a zc clutch i have a spare with very low miles on it its the whole clutch except the trow out bearimg let me know

make sure the pins are all out too-- the bizzz things that go to hold the tranny to the motor.
and if your mecahnic can't do it- i doubt his ability-- or perhaps you got the wrong tranny???

ZC has a longer final drive but CLOSER ratios than the Si tranny. I put in the 4.25 Si final drive in my ZC tranny, well, actually had someone do it for me and I love it.

If you're going to drag your car, ZC transmission alone would not be the best setup because the 1st gear ratios are the same and longer final drive in the ZC tranny doesn't help the car get off the line any good but if you put the 4.25 Si final drive in it you will have a car that is readily geared for both drag racing and road racing. :)

Gear ratios on paper might not give you a clue about how impressive the driving is but gears 3-4-5 in a ZC transmission are to die for.

7200rpm redline 3rd, shift into 4th and you start at somewhere between 5750rpm-6000rpm (5700 is the torque peak) Redline 4th, shift into 5th and you start at 6250-6500rpm.

CRX ZC + ZC tranny + Si final drive = trouble :)

My only thing was if this guy is having a mechanic do his work, he probably wouldn't bother changing out the final drives. Most people like to keep some sort of daily driveability, too, and driving at like 5500 rpms on the freeway just plain sucks.

With a ZC tranny (and a 4.25 Si final drive in it) you are at 3000-3250rpm in 5th gear cruising at 55mph. With the 'normal' ZC tranny, that is 2750rpm given you are running the stock tire size in both cases.

4000rpm in 5th gear is 80mph with the normal ZC tranny. 4.25 final drive will set you back down to 70-75mph.

It's not all that bad if you consider how quicker the car gets off-the-line.

My car used to hit 143mph according to the speedo at 7200rpm in 5th gear with the 'normal' ZC tranny. Now at 135mph, I hit rev-limiter in 5th and that is almost 7800rpm according to the tach.

Originally posted by Spoon@Nov 8 2002, 04:19 AM
4000rpm in 5th gear is 80mph with the normal ZC tranny. 4.25 final drive will set you back down to 70-75mph.

Ah I guess 4500 rpms at 80 isn't bad, but who cruises freeways at 55? lol =] One thing though, are you sure you actually ran your ZC to 7800 on the freeway? Are you running a built bottom end/head? The ZC is designed to rev to a FUEL CUTOFF of 7200 -- the Integ ECU runs to 7800, but that isn't the same engine. If you really ran your ZC to 7800, that's 600 rpms AT MAX SPEED where you were accelerating, which would probably take you 20-30 seconds to do, not to mention the 20-30 seconds from 6200-7200 where you were running, the 10 seconds AT 7800 where you were looking at your tach, realizing you were going that fast, and reacting to slow down, and then the 5 seconds back down to 6200. That's 75 seconds above 6200 and 35 seconds ABOVE the ZC stock fuel cutoff -- not redline, but fuel cutoff. And what speedometer goes up to 143? Not calling BS on ya, just wondering how this situation worked out..

When I had the stock 3.888 gears in my ZC transmission, I could make 143mph in 5th gear at 7200rpm.

Check this out:
http://www.geocities.com/crxsf/big_nuts.jpg

That was not on jack-stands and here is proof:
http://www.geocities.com/crxsf/thru_the_windshield.jpg

Now I have the 4.25 gears in my ZC transmission and I did go up to 7800rpm in 5th gear and yes, I did go beyond the redline and did stay there for a while in the past-redline zone in 5th until I hit ~133mph at 7800rpm.
I am gonna take a pic of this for you. :)

That is according to the tach. It does not hit the rev-limiter before 7800rpm *according to the tach* but then again, my calculations say the tach is not too incorrect.

I even kept running the car at the rev-limiter (7800rpm according to the tach) in 5th gear for like 30-45 seconds. I always wanted to hit the rev-limiter in 5th which was not possible with 3.888 gears. That was the first thing I did after I had 4.25 gears in the ZC tranny. :)

I have a 240km/h-speedo which is 150mph in your language.

Copy the links and paste them to your address bar.
I noticed that they won't work with directly clicking on them. :(

Mind you the car was bone-ass showroom stock from its paper Honda air filter to the exhaust tips when the pic was taken.

Back