help needed d16 turbo project

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

projectxspeed

I am helping my friend cam setup a beginner turbo system. The car is a 93 honda civic ex with a d16z6. He would like to have the turbo start boosting at 3500 rpms. Is there a certain way to drive to accomplish this, or should he look for a certain sized turbo? What would be a good entry level IC for him?

Thx
Dave

if your putting together a junkyard kit for a d series, just yank the whole turbo setup from a 1g mitsubishi eclipse. a 14b turbo, the 450 injectors, the smic, the i/c piping, etc can all be used. then get a vafc to tune it or run uberdata. you can ghetto rig a hf manifold to work for a turbo manni, but picking up a used greddy manifold works too.

I will be using some if not most of those parts, but I was looking for a better intercooler but something that was under 200

Does anyone know the answer the other half of the question? He would like to have the turbo start boosting at 3500 rpms. Is there a certain way to drive to accomplish this, or should he look for a certain sized turbo?

He could start by putting on a small turbo, but small turbos suck.

Fit a turbo to the engine, and it won't matter where you hit maximum boost. You will be making more power than a turbo that is too small or too large. No change in driving will make his turbo spool sooner. Buy a boost controller.

Originally posted by projectxspeed@Aug 28 2004, 06:08 PM
What would you recommend for a turbo size and trim? What does a boost controlller do?
[post=383098]Quoted post[/post]​

Maximum Boost is a great book by Corky Bell. It could answer a lot of your questions and is a cheap buy on Ebay or Amazon.

Give me your engine vitals (cubic centimeter displacement, redline, how much boost you want to run) and I'll reccomend a turbo. Do you want to use a Mitsubishi or Garret turbo?

Boost Control: You want an electronic one if possible. Basically, your wastegate is a relief valve. Relief valves have two important points; cracking pressure and full vent pressure. The spring in your wastegate is rated on its full vent pressure. This means it will be all the way open at .5 bar for a .5 bar spring. The cracking pressure of said wastegate is far less, perhaps even .2 bar. This means that the valve unseats from "closed" at .2 bar, and gradually opens further and further as the boost pressure increases. This means that you will spool slower because some pressure is released before you have maximum boost.

An electronic boost controller will block the boost signal to the wastegate actuator, meaning the .5 bar signal never reaches the wastegate because the EBC is blocking it, and the wastegate will not unseat at all. When the EBC sees the boost setting you put it to (lets say .8 bar), it will unlock and let that .8 bar signal flow to the wastegate actuator. The wastegate now has a signal greater that .5 bar and opens to full vent. Because the wastegate never gets cracking pressure before maximum boost, all the flow from the engine makes it to the turbine, and the spool time is much faster.

Back