1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Needed on finding engine specs

Discussion in 'Other Vehicle Discussions' started by bcman, Oct 7, 2004.

1. bcman

bcman Senior Member

Hey peoples,
    I'm trying to find a few good engine choices for my school's Hybrid Electric Vehicle program. We probably want something in the 1.0-1.6 liter range, and fuel efficiency is key. Does anyone know of websites or other places where I can find specs on lots of four-cylinder engines? The specs I'm looking for are displacement, compression ratio, peak power and torque, and brake-specific fuel consumption.

2. NissanNiNjA2nd

NissanNiNjA2nd Senior Member

1st what all is your project going to include... next are you shooting to produce a new motor OR just use an old one in a new way....

Diesel? Unleaded?? Bioshit...?

what all are the requirements and what specifically are you wanting to use?

3. bcman

bcman Senior Member

The Program is called Challenge X - we and 14 other schools across the country are going to convert Chevy Equinoxes to hybrid drivetrains. Our team will be doing a plug-in style hybrid, with a downsized engine and larger electric motor. So we're looking for a pretty small gas engine (in years past we've run a Suburban on a 1.9L Saturn engine.) We'll probably run it on E85 (85% ethanol, 15% gas), although diesel is still under consideration. We'll want to use an existing engine, but we'll probably do a lot to it, like take off the accessories (power steering, A/C, alternator, etc.), run a stand alone management system, maybe an exhaust-driven generator. We don't have specific power requirements right now - we're just looking to gather as much info as possible.

4. BodyDroppedNikes

BodyDroppedNikes ...PENDEJO.... VIP

why not use a D16z6 from a 92-95 Honda Civic EX/Si? plenty of power and in your engine size range.

5. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Good luck, but not too much- best of luck to the UT Austin team to kick everyone's asses. ;)

You can pick up the Honda engine specs in our reference section. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any naturally aspirated 4 cylinders with higher specific output than Honda 4 bangers. You might be able to grab some used JDM Nissan or Honda engines that came close to beating 100hp/liter for not too much cash, but I don't know how fuel hungry they are. The higher efficiency models like the D15Z in the VX or the D16Y in the HX might be good places to start.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted