Help Needed on finding engine specs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bcman

Hey peoples,
I'm trying to find a few good engine choices for my school's Hybrid Electric Vehicle program. We probably want something in the 1.0-1.6 liter range, and fuel efficiency is key. Does anyone know of websites or other places where I can find specs on lots of four-cylinder engines? The specs I'm looking for are displacement, compression ratio, peak power and torque, and brake-specific fuel consumption.

1st what all is your project going to include... next are you shooting to produce a new motor OR just use an old one in a new way....

Diesel? Unleaded?? Bioshit...?

what all are the requirements and what specifically are you wanting to use?

The Program is called Challenge X - we and 14 other schools across the country are going to convert Chevy Equinoxes to hybrid drivetrains. Our team will be doing a plug-in style hybrid, with a downsized engine and larger electric motor. So we're looking for a pretty small gas engine (in years past we've run a Suburban on a 1.9L Saturn engine.) We'll probably run it on E85 (85% ethanol, 15% gas), although diesel is still under consideration. We'll want to use an existing engine, but we'll probably do a lot to it, like take off the accessories (power steering, A/C, alternator, etc.), run a stand alone management system, maybe an exhaust-driven generator. We don't have specific power requirements right now - we're just looking to gather as much info as possible.

why not use a D16z6 from a 92-95 Honda Civic EX/Si? plenty of power and in your engine size range.

Good luck, but not too much- best of luck to the UT Austin team to kick everyone's asses. ;)

You can pick up the Honda engine specs in our reference section. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any naturally aspirated 4 cylinders with higher specific output than Honda 4 bangers. You might be able to grab some used JDM Nissan or Honda engines that came close to beating 100hp/liter for not too much cash, but I don't know how fuel hungry they are. The higher efficiency models like the D15Z in the VX or the D16Y in the HX might be good places to start.

Back