Help... new '91 CRX HF needs work

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

zsquared

Help... new '91 CRX HF needs transmission work

Hello all. I am new to the forum, Honda, and tuning in general. I have read all of the provided info and performed searches as to not be such a nuisance, but still have a few questions. I just purchased a 1991 CRX HF 5-speed :D with 177k miles. 2nd gear consistently pops out as soon as I let off the gas so I think it's the synchros; the rest of the gears seem fine. I also know that the clutch is about due for replacement. With this kind of mileage, I want to go ahead and replace the entire transmission along with the clutch and flywheel. Questions:
Should I replace the flywheel as I am getting all of this done?
Is "L3" the correct code for my replacement tranny?
Is there anything more to discriminate the differences in gear ratios other than the CRX trim, such as an '88-'91 CRX HF L3 transmission?
Should I consider alternate JDM or USDM transmissions, such as a SI, DX, or Integra?
Are the JDM and USDM trannys direct replacements, or do they need modifications?
Who manufactures a reputable clutch and/or flywheel at a decent price?
After searching in the forums, I'm under the assumption that there is something desireable about the HF tranny in that it has tall 1st and 5th gears; designed for fuel economy but also ideal for tuners. I want to maintain economy, but am willing to compromise in preparation of an inevitable engine swap. The car needs a lot work and I need to resolve these issues first just to get it roadworthy. I'm really glad to be here and very proud to own a CRX! I am looking forward to getting this car back into shape. Thanks in advance! :D

Last edited:
I guess that these are the noob questions that nobody has time for. :confused: Anyway, I brought my car home on Tuesday and am surprised at how good the condition of it is. The tranny is ok for now; I don't think it will damage anything else if I continue to drive it like it is. I don't want to waste the money on the labor to repair it. I'm just going to change the transmission oil and be prepared to swap it out with a rebuilt one when the clutch goes. Same goes for the engine. This is a commutter for me and the HF seems to be the most fuel efficient car of all time; not to mention the great look of a CRX and Honda's famed reliability. I guess this forum is a little too advanced for me as I have never worked on a Honda before. I'll be chiming in again when I can talk Hondaspeak. Can anybody suggest another forum that is geared more towards beginners? :D Thanks!

Thanks for the help, jlicrx!

jlicrx PM'd me and helped me out in extensive detail. Thanks again for all of your help. Essentially, this car is going to be used as an economical commutter. With that in mind:

1. the flywheel can be refinished at a machine shop
2. alternate transmissions are going to defeat the use of it as an economical vehicle and most, if not all, require more extensive modification of the front axles, hubs, etc.
3. a rebuilt HF transmission is waaay too expensive (about $1600), so a used one should do ($100-250) if replacement is needed
4. for the measly 70hp HF engine, a generic clutch from your local auto parts store should be sufficient

Thanks again for the help, jlicrx! :D

Back