help! no dash lights or turn signals

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

actualy i do have expiereence , not to sound coky but i am an auto electrician and almost everyday we bridge past a suspect part in a circuit to iliminate it and diagnose the problem. all the dimmer switch is is a varible resistor, bridging across it would be like turning it on high. if you are unshore try using a test light to bridge across it, this has a globe in series to put a resistence across the circuit, better yet use an led or multimetres and check power at both ends and continuity across the dimmer, or best of all take it to someone who knows, like an auto electrician

ACTUALLY, if you remember from tech school(providing you went to one of those) that all bridging across a circuit does is shorten the circuit path and in effect you compromise it by creating a "flat short".... this is bad news because it creates unwanted heat in the circuit wiring which can in turn lead to an electrical fire. Not only that but since I happen to own pretty much the same car...(2000Si vs. 2004 LX)... you would think that having worked on vehicle electrical circuit systams for the last 8 years paired up with identical wiring added to vehicle specific experience would kind of make me more of the authority here.

I mean we're not exactly talking about a GM P.O.S. that it doesn't matter what you do to the wiring because the colors haven't changed in over 25 years or so. Hondas have a lot of delicate electronics that are designed to easily short so as to protect larger more costly components of the entire system.

Most people can't even figure out how to get the RADIO out of a newer Honda without making a few phone calls first, let alone open up the multipin wiring harness that the HVAC connects to.

It's ALWAYS a beter idea to use a multimeter. And as long as you know what wire to test and what you're looking for whether it's "grounding" "shorting" or has a "hot spot" then you're ok. But other than that, I'll agree with you and restate what I already said........

Originally Posted by d17type-R
Rule of Thumb: "Do it right, or Pay someone else to do it"^_^

dimmer switch anyone????????????

I figured out that IT IS MY DIMMER SWITCH. I found one on ebay for $35 but it's used and there's no returns or shipping insurance. I gotta take this guys word that it works. I googled it and a new one from partsdirtcheap.com is $70 + shipping. Any suggestions to where else i should look. Thanx.

i no i have been critisized be fore for saying bridge across it. but on my 89 concerto when my dimmer switch open circuited, i connected the wires, eliminating the dimmer from the circuit with no worries. i no the car is an 89 as opposed to 2000, but the principle is the same. the dimmer switch is just a way of dimming the dash lights by putting resistence in the circiut. the globes are still 12v and wont blow, they will just be on max brightness. get an ohm metre and test the resistence of a good dimmer switch at high seting and you will see that the resistence is low.

seriously kid stop giving bad advice to people. are you lookin to burn someones car down? if so then do it with your own car, posts of this nature will be deleted from now on.

i did, nothing caught fire there were no sparks or smoke the sky didnt fall down and the world didnt end, nothing happened except my dash lights started working again.

CAR-FIRE-3-24-03.jpg

idont have a digicamera but i do got a fone camera is there a way of putting those pics on here, my phone doesnt connect to the comp, its just a cheapy.? i would be very happy to show pics because i no you guys are sceptical and i would like to show you wat i did.

i don't thinkit'll matter much if you put up pictures of your work or Alma Gates work. I think it has more to do with your choice of words and wording when you're trying to communicate and idea.

1)Grammar counts
2)Speelingh cunts;) (spelling something can make the biggest difference)
3)Vocabulary helps

i did it on my car. my car is older than yours. i cant say yes or no to that because i havent seen your car. but i would guess yes. my car has warning beepers for when you leave the lights on and my mod didnt afect these at all. if the dimmer is a rheostat type (two wire) it should be ok, if its a potentiometre type (three wire) it will be more difficult, you will have to find the positive source and the load. ultimatly its your call, its your car, and if you are unshore seek professional help or by the replacement part. how did you find that the dimmer is at fault? if your car came into my workshop first step we would check fuses, then if theres power coming out of the light switch, then if its coming out of the dimmer. if its not going thru the dimmer we would then continuity check it, if it failed( open circuit). we would then then try to get the circiut to work without it by bridgeing across it to be shore that that parts at fault.

deranger is correct about using a test bulb, multy meter, and bridginf across the dimmer no hurt any thing but, you must pull the terminals off and i would not advise doing if for more than a second.

deranger is correct about using a test bulb, multy meter, and bridginf across the dimmer no hurt any thing but, you must pull the terminals off and i would not advise doing if for more than a second.

thankyou ive been trying to tell these guys that for a long time.

I just bought a used dimmer on ebay. I got the entire panel for $20. I don't need the vent or Cruise switch so tell me if anyone needs one that fits a 96-00 civic. I just brought it to a local shop who said all the fuses and wires were ok, and my dimmer wires register 12v when disconnected, but when the switch is plugged in, nothing. Should be a cheap fix if this works.

hah, i forgot about this thread. I also replaced my dimmer switch the day i posted in this thread.
fixed it right up.

How the hell do you ruin a dimmer switch replacing your stereo anyway? Is there a legitimate explaination or is God:( just laughing at me????

Back