Help on Leak down test

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Danyelldmd

I did a leak down test on my 1994 Honda Civic. The results I got were scary.
#1cylindar- I did 100PSI and it held no air pressure. No air leaks out of Cylinder #2 but a little bit of air from #3 and #4. And exhaust leaked a little.
#2 Cylinder- I did 100PSI and it held no air pressure. Small air leak out of Cylinder #2 #3 and #4. No air leakage from the exhaust.
#3 Cylinder- I did 100PSI and it held no air pressure. No air leakage out of Cylinder #1 but more noticeable air coming from #2 and #4. And no exhaust leakage.
#4 Cylinder – I did 100 PSI and it held no air pressure but I didn’t hear any air leakage anywhere.
This is my first time doing a leak down test. But I made sure that each piston was Top Dead Center and that the car was in gear when I started the test. I either did this wrong or I am afraid that my Head Gasket needs to be replaced. But the thing is the car ran great up to this moment, if the Head Gasket needed to be replaced wouldn’t there have been signs? Any help much appreciated! Thanks.

Sounds like head gasket. You could have a slow leak that's not giving you engine running type issues yet- like just in between the cylinders. That's a pretty narrow space that doesn't get into the water jacket, so you probably wouldn't notice until it really opens up and starts blowing significant combustion into other cylinders.

Calesta

Thank you for answering my question. Tonight I am going to begin the steps of getting to the head gasket. I can only hope that is the problem and not something worse.

Again thank you
Danyelldmd

Welcome. I hope that's what you need to fix, and that there isn't anything else in there broken.

Back