Help! Plz :(

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Have a b20 vtec and I ran my ecu codes got
3,10,20,21,41 I have a stock harness that I want to put into my swap instead of the current one because I was told that the wiring is bad. Is there or are there any DIY threads to help me out with this?
The car won't run unless I basically launch it it won't let me drive normally!

put the stock harness in, you might have to extend some wires like the air temp sensor, o2 sensor, and maybe a few others...

OP.....not trying to be an ass but you could get a lot more help if you told us what your stock harness is off of. Is it VTEC....OBD1....OBD2?

Harness is stock of a 97 civic dx coupe.but I have another one that I juz picke out of the junkyard because I was told that the wiring on it was bad.that's exactly why I was askin if there was a DIY on this so I could do it.

Harness is stock of a 97 civic dx coupe.but I have another one that I juz picke out of the junkyard because I was told that the wiring on it was bad.that's exactly why I was askin if there was a DIY on this so I could do it.I am a noob to all of this so plz have some patience.and all advice and help are muchly apreciaated

Have you looked up these codes? This is your very first step......

Whats wrong with your harness? If you are getting another harnes.....you shoudl get a D16Y8 harness (EX) b/c it will have VTEC ran to the ECU already

Een looking for one in the local junkyards but no luck I got codes 3,10,20,21,41 and the ecu I'm running is a obd1 p72 thnx for all the future help

MAP, O2, VTEC solenoid....these all need to have the wiring check and/or replace the parts. Do you even have an O2 hooked up? Are any of these things hooked up?

Electrical Load Detector.....thats code 20.....it can be disabled from my readings but that wold need a socketed ECU to disable it.

Just fix the stuff or you might have a crappy wire harness. Multi-Meter!!!! Check for continuity

Last edited:
Look I'm a noob I'm not even a mechanic so plz take it easy on me guys. This is the first time I have ever worked on a car so plz be considerate I am giving it my all .thnx to the guys who aren't assholes tho

Look I'm a noob I'm not even a mechanic so plz take it easy on me guys. This is the first time I have ever worked on a car so plz be considerate I am giving it my all .thnx to the guys who aren't assholes tho
I'm no mechanic either.....just a Honda guy who dedicated himself to learning some stuff b/c I hate paying someone else to do it.

You can't sit and wonder what the heck is wrong when you have a CEL telling you what to deal with.

Why do you think your harness is bad? Has it been chopped up and put back together? If not....it should be fine and you need to replace those sensors that are throwing codes.

Once again....do you have a O2 hooked up?
MAP (on top of the throttle body) hooked up?
VTEC (next to the distributor) hooked up?

Last edited:
I was told that the harness was bad because some of the wires were just cut and replaced.and that the map sensors wiring wasn't wired properly.somethin about the two mergin onto the same wire?. And that they were put seperate.now my question would also be if the map itself wasn't connected would that cause the acceleration problem?

Im pretty sure if the map isn't connected the car will not run at all. Just get the new harness plug it all in, reset the codes and go from there..

Would the distributor wires be am issue because they were cut off from the stock harness I plan on puttin in .would this be a problem?or can I juz extend the little bit of wire they left

Would the distributor wires be am issue because they were cut off from the stock harness I plan on puttin in .would this be a problem?or can I juz extend the little bit of wire they left

just make sure it is wired up right, don't mix the wires up or more problems will happen

If the harness is cut up-put back together AND you are not very experienced, then it would be in your best interest to find yourself another Engine Harness (its one piece all the way to the ECU). There are too many wires and too many possible problems to take this any further.

What OBD is the distributor? Alternator? Injectors? I am wondering if you have some pieced together system from a variety of OBD's and thats why the harness was hacked up and such.

Ideally.....you should have a OBD2A Dizzy, Alt and Injectors. You should get some numbers off them so we can tell you if they're OBD0, 1, 2A, 2B, If everything is OBD2A....you are in better shape. Just need to get a harness. But if its a mix match cluster.....then you may need to become really good at soldering or you're gonna have to spend some money on OBD2A stuff I mentioned.

O2 sensor is connected to the down pipe on the header/exhaust manifold. A few inches before it connects to the Catalytic Converter.

Back