HELP! possible axle prob. you tell me

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fionntan

Banned
Ok so I hit a pretty big rock one night and it did something to my car. I think it might be the axle but I am not sure. The sound that I have been hearing since then is a popping or clicking sound. It happens when I am at a stand still reving to take off. When the wheels get the force from the engine is when I hear it. It is like the teeth on the axle and the teeth on the engine (or hub) have to find each other before they start working together. Does this sound familiar to anyone, and did I explain it good enough. The car drives fine and I only hear it at take off, and every once and a while when I am making a sharp turn.

ya sounds like a damaged cv joint. take a look at the boot and see if it's torn at all. might just be broken on the inside tho.

Carquest ftw! Usually like 80-90 for a new axle, lifetime warranty :)

Is there a way to check for sure, because I dont want to change out the axle and find out it was something else. I can change parts and fix known problems, but I dont know enough about cars to actually diagnose a problem.

Therefore I recommend jacking it up, and looking at the boot to inspect for tears or gross grease leakage. If you do that, and it looks ok, the next step would be disassembling the CV to see it's condition. If you don't feel comfortable doing that kind of work, I recommend you just let a shop deal with it. Just make sure they use quality parts.

Thanks...I dont have any porblem doing that. I would rather give it a try and learn then pay someone else to just fix it for me.

Alright well your best bet is to go to your local auto store and pick up a haynes or chilton (the most widly available manuals) for your car. That will tell you all you need to know, plus most other general troubleshooting/repair you'd probably ask about.

I have a haynes, and yes they are full of info, but sometimes it lacks indepth explanations as to what to look for, but I will give it a go.

Welllllllllllllll I don't mean to sound like a dick but, open that sucker up!!

Page 8-10, chapter 8 'Clutch & Driveline' in my 96-00 civic haynes manual (red teg on cover).

They tell you how to disassemble the CV and everything.

:)

I will, and I was just getting opinions on what people though before I started ripping into things...like I said I am still learning and I didnt want to go off half cocked. Thank you.

I hear ya. Ok then, bump for more suggestions for you. Sure sounds like the CV to me, by your description.

Back