(Help!) Setting some facts straight about the B18C swap (GSR) into an EJ2 Civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EJ2 civic

So I have researched plenty on this swap, but I have to ask a few questions on some factors that seem to have contradicting answers. To give you guys some more information, this will be a B18c GSR swap (year of motor is unsure yet) into a 93 Civic Coupe (EJ2); this will also be a transmission conversion, from automatic to standard.

Questions:

1. Is the GSR manifold compatible with the d-series exhaust piping and if so or by any means possible, will back pressure accumulate too much and in anyway harm the motor?
2. Is/are the GSR motor/ hoses compatible with the d-series radiator? If not, will any Integra radiator be compatible?
3. Is it true that the older GSR motor is an ODBI and the newer GSR motor an ODBII? If so, could you please specify which years belonging to each? Also, if the motor is an ODBII, will I need an ODBII-ODBI conversion harness or simply rewire the two harnesses' to fit?
4. The GSR motor compatibility with stock d-series engine mounts; is it true that only the transmission mount will need to be replaced since it will be an automatic to standard conversion? Implying that the d-series engine mounts will accept the GSR motor?
5. Will the GSR gauge cluster fit the EG/ EJ2 Civic?

- I am almost certain I have left some important questions out, so if you guys have any other input in regards to similar questions I have asked, feel free to post them. Also, any other important steps and/ or considerations about this swap please post. Your expertise will be greatly appreciated.
- If you guys know any other sites/ links that may answer these questions, please post them as well. Thanks. ^_^

1.) I don't think they're compatible. Don't forget that there's a catalytic converter in there to deal with as well. It doesn't just go straight from the exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipe. And yes, the Civic's exhaust pipe might be a little restrictive for a B18C1. I'd recommend upgrading to 2.25" or 2" at least.

2.) Not sure on this one, sorry.

3.) 96 and up is OBD2. If you want to use an OBD2 motor, then I'd recommend buying a conversion harness and running an OBD1 ECU. That will make tuning a lot easier (if you decide to tune at some point in the future).

4.) Pretty sure you'll need mounts from an Integra or Del Sol VTEC to make this work. Also you'll need a shift linkage from an Integra or 99-00 Civic Si.

5.) I'm pretty sure that it will plug in and function, but obviously it's not going to bolt into the dash and look like stock. You might want to consider upgrading to an EX/Si gauge cluster, or, if you don't mind spending some money, start looking for a Japanese SiR cluster.

Hope that helped. Maybe somebody else can chime in on the radiator hose question?

The D series radiator will have 1 1/8" diameter hoses were the B series will have 1 1/4" diameter hoses. You can make the bigger hoses work, but you would be better to run a Del Sol radiator that has the proper size inlet and outlet. You can find performance ones on ebay shipped for under a hundred bucks. You should run Integra radiator hoses. The Del Sol upper one comes out at the wrong angle. I believe that the lower ones are the same from the Del Sol and the Integra.

It would be easier to stay with the same OBD type of engine for your car.

Hope that helps

1. Is the GSR manifold compatible with the d-series exhaust piping and if so or by any means possible, will back pressure accumulate too much and in anyway harm the motor?

You can make it work, it won't be a bolt in affair though. your best bet is to go aftermarket or build your own/have one built for you

2. Is/are the GSR motor/ hoses compatible with the d-series radiator? If not, will any Integra radiator be compatible?

Half-sized Del Sol radiator or stock is fine, I don't remember which hoses you need though, NO, your stock ones will not work

3. Is it true that the older GSR motor is an ODBI and the newer GSR motor an ODBII? If so, could you please specify which years belonging to each? Also, if the motor is an ODBII, will I need an ODBII-ODBI conversion harness or simply rewire the two harnesses' to fit?

I would recommend if in fact your motor is obd2 to convert it to obd1, not only because your car is obd1 but as said before, tuning is much easier with obd1 with many more choices in programs and such as well.

An OBD1 b17 GSR is 92-93
An OBD1 b18c1 GSR is 94-95
An OBD2 b18c1 GSR is 96+

4. The GSR motor compatibility with stock d-series engine mounts; is it true that only the transmission mount will need to be replaced since it will be an automatic to standard conversion? Implying that the d-series engine mounts will accept the GSR motor?

Your stock mounts (d series) aren't gonna work, you will need mounts from a 94+ Integra, look it up, I don't remember which one you need for the rear mount.

5. Will the GSR gauge cluster fit the EG/ EJ2 Civic?

Nope, take Brutals advice on this one.

Back