HELP..the CX is overheating...WEIRD?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hybrid89

thistownsucks...
Alright, 100% stock CX motor (92) hatch. Car seems to overheat, randomly..perfect example...

driving to work at 5 am (40 degrees out) going 70 mph on the FWY. temnp starts to spike, then drops, then spike again, going higher and higher until I am in the red. was about to pull over when...OH shit I hit a traffic jam! Now the car goes to normal operating temp while I sit absolutly still on the Fwy for 15 minutes. WTF? as soon as traffic breaks and we start going normal speed, it jumps again.

Seems to happen more when I am "on it" then just crusing. Just changed the radiator and the fan. I know the fan has never worked since I got the car and still doesn't even after changing it. Its either the relay, fuse or wiring ( which I can figure out. )

Now 3 days ago, right when I pulled up to my place from work, I noticed the TEMP was in the red again. so I pop the hood and see the radiator releasing pressure from the cap and seeping out.

Now, when i changed the radiator, I never topped off my overflow resivor. But now, It full to the brim? like it geting back pressure or the thermostat is not openeing until it is way too late.

Any help/insight is greatly appreciated.

matt

is it while your going fast? my friend has a crx with no radiator fan and it cools fine at highway speeds. have you tried new thermostat?

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Nov 30 2004, 03:11 PM
is it while your going fast? my friend has a crx with no radiator fan and it cools fine at highway speeds. have you tried new thermostat?
[post=424195]Quoted post[/post]​

no new thermo, doing that today, just trying to see if anyone else has had this problem and what the solution was. I am sure it is simple, just looking for others opinions/experience before i go getting parts at the store.

matt

Originally posted by b204dr@Nov 30 2004, 03:14 PM
either thermostate or water pump!
[post=424199]Quoted post[/post]​

Thats what I am thinking, but wouldn't the water pump fail more under lower speeds rather than higher?

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Nov 30 2004, 03:17 PM
Thermostat, maybe fan switch.
[post=424204]Quoted post[/post]​

isn't the fan on a relay that plugs into the main underhood fuse box? I changed that with a known working relay, and the fan still did not work. now I have changed the fan and no worky worky either?

i just replaced my thermostate , i had the same symtoms , if u keep driving it , it will continue to get worse to where it dosnt matter if u are going a faster speed.. still does it after new thermostate so now to do the hard one ! gonna do my timing at the same time .. might as well..

does anyone know if all d series water pumps are the same (non- vtec anyhow)? I have 2 left over from my old d16a6 and would love to use that instead of spending the coin on a new one. I would, just this motor is only temp, until my GSR is finished

i could be wrong but . i would assume so.. non vtec=non vtec. but wait for some one else to conform !

isn't the fan on a relay that plugs into the main underhood fuse box? I changed that with a known working relay, and the fan still did not work. now I have changed the fan and no worky worky either?

I believe the actual switch is on the thermostat housing....someone correct me if I am wrong

I have flushed it, if that is what you mean, not power bleed. I know that when I got the car, the cooling system was filled with 100% antifreeze (0 water) i flushed out 3 or 4 times and filled with straight water. That seemed to help for about 3 weeks, and now it is doing it again, after antifreeze was re introduced into the system? what gives?

matt

Yeah Matt try bleeding I had the same problem when I drop the Z6 in my crx, but I soon realize I forgot to relocate the coolant temp sensor from the block to the thermostat housing. I think the water pumps are the same. I can tell you for sure when I get off work. I have a few things tho if you need one, lots of dseries stuff laying around.

Try bleeding it right. Fill it and break the bleeder valve till it comes out continuosly instead of bubbleing. Then fill back to top place cap on halfway, and run the motor till the thermostat opens, then tighten the cap. Having air in the system can overheat it as well as a bad thermostat.

Thanks guys for all the ideas, but unless the guy who owned it before me bought custon GREEN pistons, I have a blown head gasket. Anyone in the So Cal aera have a d16z6 for sale?

Back