Help troubleshoot my tranny

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Capt. Orygun

Win the Day
So I'm driving the Auto S14 about and notice something is wrong with the tranny. I just got back from a drive to do some reaserch. Here's what it yielded

While driving at 30MPH my car runs at 2000RPM, while maintaning speed the RPMs increase rapidly to 2800, as if the tranny had down shifted by itself. I have not noticed any problems during acceleration. It should be noted that this has occured at other speeds as well.

If I blip the throttle it returns to 30MPH at 2K RPM (it feels like it shifts, could be wrong), eventually the problem will re-occur without fail. If I do nothing car continues to run at 2,800RPM

Now for the tranny

Full service accomplished in Jan 2006
160,000 miles on it, driven easy by me (had it since 120K)
Tranny system is not leaking, system is fully servied and fluid looks healthy

Just a note: problem occurs regardless of whether or not overdrive was on

Let me know what you think, thanks

Update

My friend has an Auto Honda Passport that did the exact same thing. He Mallotized the shift solenoid mounted on his tranny and it stopped for a few miles. $125 later and all was well agian. Keep your fingers crossed, time to get under the 240

PS: I'm not buying a new tranny for my 156K mile KA. If it's worst case senario then it's SR20DET time

sounds to me like a shift solenoid isn't holding.

didn't have a chance to get under it today. Can anyone show me a picture of what I'm lookng for, I didn't see them in my Chilton's. Also if anyone knows

How many are there (shift solenoids)
Are they stored in the same component or are they spread around?

Back