HELP w/ EMERGENCY BRAKE HANDLE

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b18c1civic97

I just bought a replacement for my emergency brake handle to go along with my shift knob, but how the hell does this thing come off. I have a 97 civic ex if that makes any difference any help will be appreciated. THANK YOU

take off the interior part that covers it up, there should be some pop off parts that cover up screws, unscrew those. i dont know if there are any bolts under the car but look around in the interior and see if you see any.

its always the rice that causes trouble, haha I know I guy with a mazda mx-3 that he couldn't get his off (i really don't think it did come off, i couldn't figure it out) so he cut the damn thing off with a steak knife haha!

all the abpve post are wrong to get the handle off you do not have to take the console off all you have to do is oull on it it is tight on there so you will probably have to twist and pull it doesnt twist much. but that it how you take it off but it will take a min of pulling

Originally posted by civic15.8@Nov 21 2003, 05:58 PM
all the abpve post are wrong to get the handle off you do not have to take the console off all you have to do is oull on it it is tight on there so you will probably have to twist and pull it doesnt twist much. but that it how you take it off but it will take a min of pulling

:werd: the plastic cover on the handle just pulls off. twist the bitch as you pull.

I tried twisting and pulling, looked for pins or screws to pull out, and finally went with the steak knife idea. Took a long time and my arm was tired as hell, but it worked pretty good, I just have to buy my wife another nice steak knife, oh well. Thanks for the help guys.

i just posted the same damn question.....
guess i shoulda perused the old ones first.

am i to assume you will certainly destroy the oem plastic handle upon removal?

just wanna know before i start.

no turning back!

maybe just do without....the new handle was only 10 bux

or go to the bone yard and get another one to whack on.

tom the vatorman

Back