HELP!!! what driver's side axle to use...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jae_rex

HELP!!!! I have a 1st gen JSPEC B16A swap, cable to hydro conversion. Things were running well, till about a week ago after my friend drove. I think he may have dropped the clutch too hard, cuz a day later there was a thudding sound under the clutch pedal. The itermediate shaft(drivers side) where the bearing is, is binding and and separating during gear changes and acceleration. I tried to get a 90-93 axle, but it does not fit. What axle shoud I use? Since I have a 1st gen. B16A, I'm not sure what to use. I only used the axles the swap came with. Does anyone have some info? Thanks in advance.

What do you mean the intermediate shaft is seperating during acceleration and shifting? You might wanna check to make sure all 3 bolts holding it to the block are still in place.

Don't understand why you would need a new axle unless it was broken in half or something. Be a bit more specific on what the problem is, it might be an easier/cheaper fix than having to buy a new axle.

The half shaft separates under load. While on the lift and while shifting, he itermediate shaft on the bearing moves in and out and thats where the thudding sound comes from.

Seperates from the block, or moves laterally from the tranny?

get you a 90-93 teg intermediate shaft and axle and youll be good. sounds like you have SiR axles in there at the moment. you can build custom SiR axle but its more trouble than you want to go through. But you can use 86-89 teg axles with 90-93 inner cv joints for the SiR. or buy this setup from www.raxles.com

Originally posted by 88bluehf@Jun 11 2004, 12:03 AM
get you a 90-93 teg intermediate shaft and axle and youll be good. sounds like you have SiR axles in there at the moment. you can build custom SiR axle but its more trouble than you want to go through. But you can use 86-89 teg axles with 90-93 inner cv joints for the SiR. or buy this setup from www.raxles.com

Damn it, no they won't. The 90-93 tegs, and pre 92 Civic chassis track narrower, so the axles are shorter. You need to get the 92+ SIR halfshaft/axle, 94-97 Del Sol halfshaft/axle, 94+ Integra halfshaft/axle, 99-00 Si halfshaft/axle.

You can not mix the 90-93 teg or pre92 Civic series axles with the older halfshafts because the earlier is female and the later are male (halfshafts).

Back