Help! What should i do?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

My dell laptop went out this week, and i have been waiting for dell to get back to me with a price on replacing the motherboard. I also have been checking out new systems in case it was too expensive.

I just got off the phone with them, and they said it would be $500 to do everything, which includes shipping, diagnostics, labor, replacing "minor" parts, replacing the board, and shipping back to me. I told them that was too much and that i could buy a better one for a little more, so they dropped it to $350. I think i might be able to push for anohter 50 bucks off. also it only carries a 3 month warranty on the replaced parts.

OR, would it be a smarter decision to suck it up and get something a little more up to date, like this Acer Aspire 5610 15.4" Widescreen Laptop PC w/ Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080 - Wal-Mart

my old laptop was a dell inspiron 600, pentium 1.6 ghz i think, 1 gb ram, 100gb hard drive

if you're going to consider something new and you're down with thinkpads, pm me. i can get you an employee discount (they run mad specials on laptops). i'll send you the url and login info you'll need.

ps make dell fix it for as cheap as you can get, then sell it on ebay once it is fixxord. that's my $.02

Actually i think you or someone on here did tell me not to.. lesson learned i guess. then again, i've also been told not to buy HP/compaq, but you run one. i found a nice compaq for 100 more than i spent on this Acer, so i almost canceled the order today, but didn't once i relized that it had everyhting better, except a shitty ass vid card.

So I just received my Acer laptop and got vista up and running. I noticed something that i hope someone here can clear up for me. On walmart.com it says that it has ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 graphics, so i was under the impression that they were talking about the graphics card, but my computer has says it has Intel Graphics Media Accelerator, which is onboard video, right? wtf? am i getting something confused or not understanding it correctly?

uh the link to wal-mart and specification from acer states its an intel intergrate graphics solution. i dont see anywhere stating it has an ati card. maybe it was an optional upgrade?

Yep. it's the same exact model. I'll probably call their tech support and just ask them. I had to call yesterday to get a recovery disk because i already screwed it up trying to install XP on a different partition. They were pretty cool on the phone and sent a disk out to me for free. I really didn't want to mess with Vista, so i made another partition and installed XP on it, but XP screwed up the Vista partition for some reason. When i called they knew what i meant right away, so i guess I'm not the first to do that. Oh well, i guess I'm stuck with Vista for the time being.

Back