Help!wiring!swap Issues!cx Vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Spyderturbo

Hey guys, finally did my swap yesterday and car is not running right, here is what's up.

Car:1994 Civic CX
Motor: 1993 D16Z6
ECU: 1994 P28 out of a Civic EX

Swap was very simple, motor came with harness, so we unplugged mine, pulled the motor, dropped the D16Z6 in, plugged it in. We ran 2 additional wires for VTEC, the Green Plug on the head, two wires one black(ground) stayed in the harness as it tested as a ground, the other one blue ran through firewall to ECU pinnout A4, the sensor next to it, gray, one wire, ran to ECU pinnout D6. Are these correct? Am I missing some additional pinnouts, I noticed that I went from a 2 wire 02 to a 4 wire 02 and I'm thinking this might be the problem.

The car fires up and idles fine for the first 20 seconds or so, then the idle tries to kick down and it immediately throws a code and starts idleing a little fast, I have not checked the TPS or AIC. Took the car for a spin and it is really dogging, it seems really loaded up with fuel and at WOT is not willing to rev much over 3500, no sputter or anything, just blahhhhh, exhaust sounds really fat like it's getting entirely too much fuel. I thought I needed to add pinnouts for the 4 wire 02 but when I asked around before I never got a strait answer. I hope somebody has done this and can help! Thanks for your time!

-Matt

double check these:
VTEC Solenoid Yellow/Green A4
VTEC Oil Pressure Sensor Blue D6
VTEC Ground Black Chassis Ground

and im not sure if these are on the d16 or not, as i stole this pinout from the b16/p30
emission shit-- shoudln't effect how the car runs, but might throw a code.
Evap Purge Power Yellow/Black 12V Power
Evap Purge Solenoid Red A20

double check your pins

https://hondaswap.com/articles/viewer.php?id=17

what are the Pinouts for the 4 wire O2 on a P28, I figured that was the most likely culprit. Any help appreciated :D

-Matt

the motherfu$kin saga continues.......My swap is done, all the wiring is correct, I have the 02 wiring done, the vtec wiring is complete, their is no knock sensor on the D16Z6, the car should work, but I'm having all this trouble and it's CEL'ing.......I try to read the CEL, nothing, can't get it to flash the code for me(and I know where the jumper is, etc).....my buddy, the shop owner says, "hey, let's throw the P05 CX ecu back in to see if it CEL's.....guess what, car runs fine, no CEL, great power, no smoke, everything runs great. I'm guessing my P28 has some issues :) Anyone else thinking that?

What, if anything will running my D16Z6 with a P05 ECU hurt until my P28 is fixed or replaced? If anyone knows of something please let me know, and yes I know there is no VTEC with the P05 :p It's still balls to the wall faster than the 8 valve wonder it replaced :D

And for anyone interested the 94 CX firewall harness is pre-wired for a 4 wire 02, so if your using a VTEC engine harness the 02 portion plugs in, you only need to run VTEC, at least that's how my 94 CX is wired....

-Matt

head is spinning now, I am 99% sure that the 02 is wired properly, there are already wires run to both D14 and A6 in the CX harness I have, and the black tie in to other sensors, so the 4 wire is already there, even though I had a one wire in it stock. I wired my vtec to the appropriate pins, A4 and D6, so the car should work.

THE 92-95 MOTORS ONLY HAVE ONE 02 SENSOR, IN THE MANI, RIGHT???

THE 93 D16Z6 OUT OF A DEL SOL DID NOT HAVE A KNOCK SENSOR RIGHT???

My P28 is dead, it has to be, it codes then when jumpered it won't give the code, when the P05 was plugged back in the D16Z6 ran fine, I drove the car 50 miles round trip to work today and it runs like a champ, with NO CEL, that means my P28 has issues right?

I AM 99.9999% sure my wiring is all done and correct, wish someone lived near Harrisburg PA with a P28 I could borrow to test if my ECU is killed......I'll drive it with the damn P05 running it, it runs better than the CX motor did :D

-Matt

I don't understand, it runs fine with the P05 ECU, I plug in the P28 and it CEL's and runs like shit. When jumpered it does not even flash the code.....

It was an auto converted to manual by a friend of a friend, who knows what it's deal is....

-Matt

Back