HELP wiring up a OBD1 GSR into a DPFI OBD0 89 EF

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

iMPoRT GeeK

OK, the story is this. I have a OBD1 95 GSR in a 89 OBD0 DPFI EF. I already have the engine in the car and everything else is done except the wiring. I bought a 95 Civic Vtec Engine Harness and all the sensor are hooked up except the on engine harness to the main harness on the passenger side of the car and the one round harness on the driver side. I'm trying to cut the OBD1 engine harness and connecting to my OLD obd0 harness so it would be a plug in type. has anyone ever done this before? do i just match up all the wires? I know not all the wires are the same colors... Any help would be great.BTW: i'm using the OBD1 dist. and 4 wires O2 and OBD1 injector so no need for the resistor box.

Thanks
:confused::confused::confused:

you can't use the 95 engine harness - you need to use the engine harness that came on your car and do the DPFI to MPFI wiring changes to it (adding wires from the ECU to the other 2 injectors and to the cylinder sensor in the distributor) and add wires for VTEC, O2 sensor, etc. - the chassis harness on the DPFI cars is completely different than the chassis harness on the MPFI cars and does not have the necessary wires in it to run the MPFI engine - a lot of the wires in the DPFI chassis harness are in different connectors from the MPFI harness - the DPFI harness has only one connector on the passenger side - the MPFI harnesses have 2 connectors on the passenger side - don't try to use the 95 engine harness as you will never get it right - wires that are in the driver's side connector on the 95 are in the passenger side on the DPFI harness and vice versa - you will need to buy an OBD0 to OBD1 ECU conversion harness so that you can plug your chassis harness into the OBD1 ECU - you will need to rewire the distributor to run the OBD1 distributor - you will need to extend the wiring for the cooling fan switch and install a different connector so that you can plug the connector into the cooling fan switch on the thermostat housing - you will need to extend the wires for the MAP sensor that is on the firewall on your car so that the connector will reach the MAP on top of the throttle body on the GSR engine

Last edited:
I just picked up a OBD0-OBD1 jumper harness...

OK I know I have to convert my chassis harness to MPFI (which I did already)

I know I have to run extra wires for the OBD1 ECU, which I can do. just going to take a little time.

Now the question is HOW do I wire the OBD1 engine harness to the OBD0 chassis harness. Does wire color matches up or down I have to trace wire for wire? I got some of them wired already. Now I know that the wires are on the wrong side of the car so that makes a little more sense. I'm about half way done (i guess), so should I continue OR should I dump the OBD1 harness and get a MPFI OBD0 harness and wire for vtec?

I'm giving myself more work than I need huh?
:confused::confused::confused::D

Back