Help with 88 Hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

(o)(o)

Couple days ago I picked a red 88 hatch really cheap, to keep company to my 95 Civic coupe. It's a 4 speed, the car is perfect, except it needs paint, a new pass. side fender, a new hood, a new windshield, a whole new interior (including the dashboard), new headlight buckets, and a new clutch. How do i tell it's a DX, or a base car? There's no tach, if that helps.

The serial number ends in 000064, so I'm thinking it's one of the very first 4 Gen hatches ever made. Am i right? Even with a slipping clutch, it's great fun to drive, and it just zips around slow moving cars. Anyways, before I can have it painted, I need to be able to drive it to get paint work estimates.

The clutch pedal was so out of adjustment, it engaged only in the last 1 inch of travel, making the thing hard to drive. I've adjusted that already and have been driving the car any chance I get, hoping the slippage is perhaps glazing on the disk. But in case the clutch is worn out, where is a good place to buy one? Is $148+ tax a good price for the complete clutch kit?

Does anyone have those parts mentioned above? If not, where do you guys buy parts from? I've been calling local auto recyclers (they're not junkyards anymore, ya know) and I'm not having any luck with parts for this car, which surprises me. Also, do 88-91 Civic 4 door and CRX use the same hood, fenders and headlights? How about the inside door panels? What other seats would fit my 88 hatch? It also needs the rear bench. God, i got me a real pos. But the 188K mile old engine runs and purrs like a happy kitten, and the 4 speed works like a dream.

It makes me crazy that althought the dash pot lits up, the needles are totally dark (my eyes are good, so don't even think about it). Is there a lightbulb somewhere that lits up the needles? How do i get to it?

Sorry for the rambling post, but I'm new to Hondas, and badly want to get started with Lazarus, to make him a sweet daily driver. Big thanks to ALL in advance!!

(o)(o)

If it doesn't say DX on the back its most likely a STD or Standard equipted hatch (the lowest level available). They were the only ones that came with the 4-spd transmission. Now, I don't know if thats an original transmission, but if it is, you have an STD.

Back