Help with B18a1 from a 91 teg (camshaft seal)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Chavezcraz

got bseries?
I bought this B18 yesterday and the guy didn't tell me it had silicone covering a link until i got there after driving 3 hours to pick it up. Not a big deal it still runs STRONG. haha. i was wondering where i can get this part shown below. i looked up camshaft seals and it just showed me o ring like seals. i beleive this i like a plug? or are the seals what i need? you can't see one of the pics well but you can surely see how big of a mess it makes from the leak. this is going into my 90 civic si hb. build threat to come later.
S4021227.jpg

S4021226.jpg

not my engine, but a pic with it off
16lkx6v.jpg

no way would i have paid over $200 for that buddy, i hope thats what u paid, or less. thats a good sign that the owner doesnt maintain his car or engine, its carelessly slapped together, dont expect alot of life outta it unless u plan to rebuild...but to each his own

take that last picture, and go visit your local honda dealer parts dept.

they will be able to find it for you.
and it shouldnt be very expensive at all.

but also, i second what zach says. if thats how they fixed a leak, i can only imagine what nightmares lurk other places.

Ask for a cam plug at your favorite auto parts store. bring the old one with you.

I only paid 250 for the entire car. Have already sold both doors for a total of 280. The hatch lid was sold for 150, the seats for sold for 100 for the pair, full a/c unit for 75, wheels for 150 with good tires, center console for 50, spare axles i found in the trunk for 75, old header for 50, crushing the car is gonna get me 150 so a total of 1080 bucks. Rebuilt kit cost 350 + 30 shipping so 380. 380+250(cost of car)=630. 1080 - 630 = 450 profit. Haha sorry had to state it all since i'm pretty excited about the build. The engine runs hella good right now. Plan on rebuilding it over the summer. Thanks for the input for the cam plug!

i got picture of the problem child. the main who sold it to me said that his daughter actually fixed that leak with no mechanical knowledge at all. i took of the valve cover and removed the mount it was located in. the plastic cap was missing from roughly 1/4 of it. is the head (cam area) color bad or just normal of a high mileage vehicle. this is my first time diving into a rebuild. thanks all for any posts!
S4021231.jpg

is this coloring normal?
S4021230.jpg

S4021230.JPG
S4021230.JPG

looks like someone didnt change oil regularly.... lol dunno though.. i had a cam plug with a part missing like that and it didnt leak but in that first pic up there wow half a tube of silly .. lol

Get a new $5 plug and some honda bond to seal it in nicely. Then run some 10-30W through it for a 100 miles and then flush it out for some new oil again. It may just need a flush. Maybe look into a magnetized oil plug to see if it catches anything. Do a Compression test and check the timing belt for wear. Think about changing cap/rotor/spark plugs/plug wires/fuel filter.

yeah CAFROG i plan on doing a full tuneup. i will run 10/30 through it for a few miles then flush it. i think i'm going to drive it how it is for now. no knocks no ticks tranny is nice. looks like it needs new gaskets but i'll keep an eye on that as i drive it. was your suggestion of running 10/30 for 100 miles if i wasn't rebuilding or if i did rebuild. also i need motor mounts for the b swap and Zerolift here in ohio has Innovative mounts for roughly 200 shipped. Are these decent? i've read reviews and seen nothing terrible about them... let me know, thanks all for the input and yeah the chick when crazy on the silicone. haha. Just painted the valve cover also. Adding a pic of it. Also added a video of it running the first day i got it so you can hear it.
Another question i have. my last b18 i had but in did this also. when it gets warm it seems to bounce rpms from like under 1000 to up to like 1500 back and forth. is this the TPS? let me know what you think. and no its not hot pink, it was just a bright flash, haha

S4021241.jpg

S4021242.jpg

Still need to sand off the honda logo. but i think it cam out pretty good.
S4021248.jpg

S4021246.jpg

Back