Help with b18b head port and polish

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

projectxspeed

A while ago there was a good thread on port and polishing. I am about to atempt it myself. Could anyone point me in the right direction of that thread, or offer some advice.

I have no idea what I am doing that is why I posted. I have never done machine work before, but I just found my dremel :).

Ok your port matching which is pretty simple, just cut untill you get it as even and smooth as possible then get another bit to smooth it down.

I'm sure there is a special tool you can buy to mark it but I just eyeballed all the ones I did, probably a few mms (2-3?), and made the new gasket match my work.

They came out nice, there are some pics in my gallery. I also went ahead and ported the intake manifold and TB, which beyond what everyone says made a big difference in throttle response.

I'm not sure what else to tell you, ask and I'll explain as best as I can.

I think your wasting time. Everybody knows the first thing you do with a LS motor is slap a vtec head on it. ;)

Ok well you give 350 - 500 to buy the vtec and I will do that :bash: . In the mean time the ls head I have is free. So I am trying to make the best of what I have. Anyone have opinions of my work so far.

I get what your saying, but I don't think taking a grinder to your cylinder head is the best idea if you don't know exactly what your doing. I doubt a little grinding hear and there will really help enough to make a big difference anyways. I haven't looked into porting and polishing cylinder heads too much, but here is some info that might help ya.

http://www.theoldone.com/components/cylinderheads/

it doesn't look too bad, its still in the beginning stages so you can't really tell yet.

Originally posted by beerbongskickass@Feb 6 2005, 06:22 PM
I think your wasting time. Everybody knows the first thing you do with a LS motor is slap a vtec head on it. ;)
[post=457178]Quoted post[/post]​

honestly stfu.

you dont want to polish your intake ports to much. it has something to do with the fuel and air mixture. another tip sharpen up the intake ports where they split. remember bigger is not always better. someone on h-t just posted a 400 whp dyno with stock ls head. also check these forums out rocket's site idk if what i told you will help but i do know these forums will. and you can get your head to flow.

Originally posted by erebunicrx+Feb 6 2005, 10:08 PM-->
beerbongskickass
@Feb 6 2005, 06:22 PM
I think your wasting time.  Everybody knows the first thing you do with a LS motor is slap a vtec head on it. ;)
[post=457178]Quoted post[/post]​

honestly stfu.
[post=457250]Quoted post[/post]​

leave the guy alone, he wasen't even bein' an ass. he put a wink at the end of it to kinda show that it was a joke. he was just offering his opinion. the topic starter already took a shot it him and he didn't try to start a war, he just accepted what he said and still tried to help. no need to be a dick when it's already dealt with.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Feb 6 2005, 05:32 PM
Ok your port matching which is pretty simple, just cut untill you get it as even and smooth as possible then get another bit to smooth it down.

I'm sure there is a special tool you can buy to mark it but I just eyeballed all the ones I did, probably a few mms (2-3?), and made the new gasket match my work.

They came out nice, there are some pics in my gallery. I also went ahead and ported the intake manifold and TB, which beyond what everyone says made a big difference in throttle response.

[post=457158]Quoted post[/post]​

You can use this spray called machinist blue. Then etch the gasket to get the line drawn where you will be porting to(my buddy used a razor blade I think). Use the line as a guide when taking material off. Make sure you don't take any curves out, just the casting flash and enough to match up to the gasket/header (carefull not to go deeper than the gasket outline or the gasket will interupt flow).

Actually I wasn't joking. The LS head flows like complete ass and the cams are worthless. Oh and I saw that post about the stock LS head making 400whp on honda-tech. On a stock block you will probably see a good 50whp gain with the vtec head when turbocharged. I am guessing he would have made a lot more than that with his built bottom end and a vtec head.

Originally posted by beerbongskickass@Feb 7 2005, 12:23 AM
Actually I wasn't joking.  The LS head flows like complete ass and the cams are worthless.  Oh and I saw that post about the stock LS head making 400whp on honda-tech.  On a stock block you will probably see a good 50whp gain with the vtec head when turbocharged.  I am guessing he would have made a lot more than that with his built bottom end and a vtec head.
[post=457339]Quoted post[/post]​

:asshat:

If he really wanted a vtec head, he would have gotten one. I HAVE a vtec head that I could just slap on like any other shmuck in the country. I am choosing to go with my pnp'd ls head because it looks stock from the outside, and I am not gonig to get laughed out of the smog station bringing it in there. I have seen plenty on NA ls motors put down numbers right on par with the vtec counterparts, and the only difference is the idle performance. As for my work I posted on where a while back here is the link. my pnp post. I just got back from "rocket" robert martin's house today, and he told me that my job was right on par what comes out of portflow's shop, so I am going to take what he says as a compliment to my first time doing this. It took me about 80+ hours to get where I got with the head, which is as far as I'm going to go with that particular head. I have a b16a I am going to work on this summer. I am not sure if my post is up to date, but it it a good start for you. I used a similar technique as described in the TOO archives, , but I added my own little touches. Rocket motorsports forums is also a good place to talk to some actual machinists about some of their techniques, but most are pretty secretive, as it is kind of an art. Hit me up on pm if you have any q's. I am definitely not the best, but I'm here if you need any help.
Mike

Edit: I looked at your work; I would suggest trying to make work on all four ports as even as possible, i.e. do each port in stages, rather than just doing one port, then the next, etc... You want to have an even amount of flow to all four cylinders, otherwise your engine combustion will not be uniform across the cylinder bank.
The pic is hard to see what is actually going on; make your your ports has smooth transitions. It looks like you took a chunk out of top of that port. If you didn't, it's just a really bad pic. If you did, you are just going to have to work harder to fix it.

Originally posted by bunson2001+Feb 6 2005, 09:14 PM-->
92civicb18b1
@Feb 6 2005, 05:32 PM

[post=457158]Quoted post[/post]​

You can use this spray called machinist blue. Then etch the gasket to get the line drawn where you will be porting to(my buddy used a razor blade I think). Use the line as a guide when taking material off. Make sure you don't take any curves out, just the casting flash and enough to match up to the gasket/header (carefull not to go deeper than the gasket outline or the gasket will interupt flow).
[post=457291]Quoted post[/post]​

A sharpie works just as well as machinist dye. It's what I used.

Back