Help with b18b head port and polish

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I am working in stages, so at least I got that part right. The reason the top look bigger than the bottom is that the old gasket was off center a bit. I am still trying to locate a cheap gasket to use as a guide. I have more pictures that I will post later today.

- Mike what grit did you use?

What are you using to cut. I used cutting bits, din't remember the exact name or which I used

about the bigger ports arent always better, but this is just port matching so its fine right? also, motoman made more hp in motorcycles by making the ports smaller then stock. i havent seen anyone try that on a car though.

Originally posted by projectxspeed@Feb 7 2005, 06:48 AM
I am working in stages, so at least I got that part right. The reason the top look bigger than the bottom is that the old gasket was off center a bit. I am still trying to locate a cheap gasket to use as a guide. I have more pictures that I will post later today.

- Mike what grit did you use?
[post=457374]Quoted post[/post]​

I used stone bits, because it was my first head, and I didn't want to take big chunks out of the head. It allowed me to get my hand more steady without taking the risk of messing up the head. Since I have more experience, I'll be moving up to the carbide tipped cutters and 80 grit rollers, not to mention polishing buffs and what not.

gallery_29820_124_61786.jpg

There is my work so far. This head was almost free so if it gets ruined I don't care. It is good practice for me. I am going to take it to a flow bench when I am finished to see how I made out. Today I will be stopping off at home depo so I get more bits. I know there a lot jagged edges; I am going to smooth those out. Any other comments.

can i ask why you are using stones? i was always told to use carbide bits for aluminum because it cakes the stones with metal

Originally posted by racintweek@Feb 9 2005, 04:39 AM
can i ask why you are using stones? i was always told to use carbide bits for aluminum because it cakes the stones with metal
[post=458471]Quoted post[/post]​

I used stones because I sucked at doing this at first. It gave me a little buffer room for error, given that it does not cut as fast as a carbide cutter. It does clog if you run it too fast. It was mostly for my training, and to give me practice and a steadier hand. I'll be using carbide cutters for the b16a head i'll be doing during the summer, and any head from now on. Rollers are good for finish work. I did work on my chambers, and it came out really nice. I also got some pointers from Rocket at our little get together last weekend as to better improve the flow through the chambers. Should be good.

dremel makes some bits you could use. still can't remember the name but they worked great for me.

Just go to Walmart or Homedepot and look for the gold ferride (I think) bits...theres like 5 in a pack and $7-8.

Back