help with ball joint on knuckle!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok here is my problem, my lower ball joint on my civic freely spins with nut, the thread on the ball joint is stripped and wont tighten all the way. it goes about a quarter of the way then spins together with the ball joint. Can I rethread it? is there a easier way to remove the ball joint itself and install it. I looked at the shop manuals and I need a vice and special tools to remove it, has anyone dealt with this problem before?

i am pretty sure those ball joints DO NOT need to be pressed out, not positive but pretty sure...

so i would hack the fucker with a sawzall and then take the clips off to drop it out of the control arm and then replace it

thats your best SAFEST bet in my opinion...

thanks, well Im guessing the weight of the car would give it enough pressure to set it in when I get it there. can I use something else besides a sawzall? I just dont want to damage anything else. Also should I take off the whole knuckle to do this? it seems a little extreem for me to take off the whole thing just for that part?

My lower ball joints came off easy with a large prybar and me pushing up and down on it with me weight very hard.

i am pretty sure those ball joints DO NOT need to be pressed out, not positive but pretty sure...

You need a special tool called a ball joint remover/installer, and a ball joint base. You can do it yourself with these parts and a table vise.

Honda tool # 07965-SB00100 remover/installer
# 07965-SB00200 ball joint installer base

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Mar 11 2004, 11:56 AM

You need a special tool called a ball joint remover/installer, and a ball joint base. You can do it yourself with these parts and a table vise.

Honda tool # 07965-SB00100 remover/installer
# 07965-SB00200 ball joint installer base

That's the best way- or you can use a BFH and just pound on the whole assembly until it's loose. :lmao:

when repairing anything on a car, there are always more than one way to do it. the correct way, and the quick and cheap way. the correct way, you need the vice and ball joint tool. the cheap way, just do what ever it takes to get it out....but, you may end up using more time to do it. now, if you work in a shop, then that is a problem since time is money. but since you obviously dont, and want to do it yourself, then dont bother with the tools, and do whatever it takes to get the damn thing out. then the problem of getting it in there without damaging the new joint. try to press it in as far as you can go, id say at least a quarter to a third of the way, then used the weight of the car to put it in, just becareful not to damage anything in the process, not worth ruining a fender or any other suspension components in the process of saving money.

take off the clip and then pound it out with a hammer.
did mine today... if you are replacing don't worry about a tool to remove because it is getting trashed anyways... and if you have a large ball peen hammer or mini sledge hammer you can pound it right out with the clip removed.

Ok, not to thread jack but i got a few questions on the same topic.

My sisster has an 84 accord and needs lower control arms on both sides along with dampers/shocks, i have never done this befor but it seems hella easy to replace the controls arms and my pops said that id i do the work he will give me 100 an hour. See she took the car to cheveron and they quoted her 350$ fro labor and like 554$ for parts, i can get the parts for like 100-200 bucks, and i read threw the auto zone manual and it seems like an easty task. what do you guys think?

Man seriously, it takes about five minutes per control arm, with hand tools to get them off. If you're not replacing the bushings just dropping out the old ones and putting in new ones. ten minute per arm. You need to come up with something to waste time, so you can get some mo cheeda'.

Back