help with bogging/stalling

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

byebyebaby

Byaaah!
ok i have a 91 dx hatch with a d16y5 swapped in it thats boosted, now everything has been fine for about a year now but as of late the car has a hard time idling and i can smell raw gas when it does idle. im looked high and low and found no fuel leaks. im starting to think that it may be my iac valve because when it does stay running it steadily rises and falls between 500-1100 rpms but im not sure if that will make it run pig rich. also when im driving if i hit the throttle too fast it will cut out for a sec or two then pick up. im thinking its either the iac valve, bad grounds, a faulty chip which im gonna reburn here in a minute, or worst case scenario the ecu itself. oh yeah im using a pm6

eh, check those sensors first. have them probed and make sure they are within specs. call honda for the specs and you could test them yourself if you know anybody with a voltmeter.

No CEL's though?

no cel which could also be due to a faulty ecu but im not sure yet. when i popped off the iac it was filthy so i cleaned it out and it still is doing the same thing, now it only acts up from time to time and sometimes it runs just fine.

did you clean out just the iac? or did you also clean the part where it attaches? if that helped then thats prob, hell clean it again, or try changing it.

im really starting to lean towards a faulty ecu or maybe just my chip. is there any way to test my ecu or just assume its dead?

how about a bad map sensor? i have 2-3 lying around so im gonna pop in a diff one and see what happens. i tried a new iac and it was good for about 5 mins then it was back to its old self. another clue is that if the car sits for awhile and gets cold when i start it up it runs perfect but once it hits normal temp is when it gets mad, especially if i shut it off and restart it

i did and there are none, for fun i even pulled one off and it actually ran slightly better with a vaccum leak

lol, whens the last time you cleaned your shit? throttle body and intake etc.?

i stay up on that type of stuff, i usually throw in a can of bg fuel cleaner around evry oil change just to stay on top. but anyways i popped in a new map and its running so much better, feels like it did before it went to hell. so im guessing a new(kinda) iac and a diff map sensor and problem solved, so far lol evryone knows obd0 blows lol

well i was right when i said it was good so far. its not the map sensor, after about 20 mins it was back to its old ways. so i thought maybe the ecu so i swapped in a pg7 and put back in the stock injectors in place of the dsm 450s hoping it would fix it but yet its still pissed. then i thought ok lets try seafoam, while running it through a vaccum line directly into the im the car idled and revved up fine. then once it was all out the system it was back to its screwed up self again. so after process of elimination we finally worked our way to fuel system since the car has never been right since using some cheaper gas. after changing the fuel filter put in less than a year ago it still is the same problem. so im working on the fuel pump now. but my only problem is i dont know where it is lol. my best guess is buried in or above the fuel tank but im not sure and i dont wanna go through the hassle of pulling the tank for nothing. but as far as my problrm heres where im at, new iac, new map, new ecu, new injectors, new fuel filters, new plugs, new wires. only thing left is the fuelk pump

fuel pump is under the back seat, gotta take it out to get to it. damn, seems youve tried almost everything, maybe the dizzys starting to short out? im kinda stumped now. let me know what you get with the fuel pump

before you try the fuel pump try this. I'm sure that you car should have a fast idle thermo valve. if so, then unhook your intake from the throttle body. there should be a hole on the back side of the throttle body. plug it up with your finger. see if that stops the bogging. It runs off the temp of the coolant like a thermosat so there are no electrical connections and when it gets bad (so no cel would pop up) and the car starts to have a fuctuating idle from 500-1500.

ive thought about that, ive also noticed that the car seems to runa bit cooler than normal, at least according to the gauge. but as far as being under the back seat i took out the bottom and top parts and couldnt find it. is it hidden under a panel? i found where the filler goes into the tank and the float is located but no pump. and as far as the dizzy dying off, the thought has crossed my mind but i took it to a shop and had a mechanic look it over and after a brief check he pulled out starting fluid and sprayed it right into the throttle body and it ran smooth then once it was gone the car was crap again so he said it was a fuel problem, either the filter oor the pump. also i have changed the fuel pressure regulator as well if that helps anyone troubleshoot. im guessing the car still has the original fuel pump from 91 so who knows, ive been looking for a reason to swap it out for the walboro anyways so i can push 20psi lol. is there a diagram to show where the fuel pump is located? and again like i said the car hasnt been right since i used cheaper gas.

also, has anybody used an inline fuel pump? if so did it work out ok?

should be under that access panel thats under the rear seat.

Attachments

• honda fuel.jpg
    honda fuel.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 134
well half the mission is done, ive pulled a fuel pump from my friends donor car(located in the fuel tank) lol but i have to wait for a chance to slip my car in the shop at his job becuase taking out the fuel pumped sucked balls in the parking lot.

well half the mission is done, ive pulled a fuel pump from my friends donor car(located in the fuel tank) lol but i have to wait for a chance to slip my car in the shop at his job becuase taking out the fuel pumped sucked balls in the parking lot.
looks like you already discovered that you can't access the fuel pump from inside the car - you have to drop the tank to get to it

Back