Help with boost question.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hunter4life

Rotary Man
I am wondering what exactly happens to a car when you turn up the psi or lbs of boost. What does it do? I am know some stuff to do with honda mostly civic engines but am not familiar with turbos (just getting my first car) Also what happens when you turn it up too much. i have a friend whos using 18ilbs of boost on his laser (ugly!) or so he claims but I know for sure hes running 15. Any help would be greatly aprreciated

Depends on your engine and fuel system. When you turn up the boost, it will make more power obviously, but if your engine cannot handle the power it makes, you will eventually break something internally. If your fuel system cannot deliver enough fuel to compensate for the increase in air, you will get a lean condition. Most fuel injected cars have sensors that monitor the a/f ratio. If it reads too lean it will put the car in some type of limp mode. Ontop of that, you may experience a fuel cut-off. Do it right and you will only have to do it once.

i had a blown gasket and my boost went through the roof. it was popping like a back fire. it felt a lil faster but just didnt seem right. so i went back to the garage and turn the boost down til i got it back to my tuner. but if i were to let it go and keep gettin on it i would of broke something internaly fast

Back