Help with Engine ID'ing needed.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Metal Twister

Ok I'm new here and like every newb I'm going to ask the most stupid question right off and get it over with.

I was given a Honda Civic engine, tranny, and axles to transplant into a VW bug Im going to build. By the vin numbers I know its an 1987 EC3 civic 2 door hatchback 5 speed manual SI motor made in Suzuka Japan.

So when I need to find out specifics on the engine how do I go about doing that? The engine is stamped with D0370 and through all my searching this type of number just doesnt make any since? Ive done several searches here but must be using the wrong terminology or something. Can anyone sick me on a good thread or reference posting on engine Identification? Thanks in advance it is truly appreciated!

the engine designation is stamped on the back of the block right above where the starter goes in

1G-ENG-STAMP.jpg

Thanks guys I found the number tonight Its the D15A3 guess the same as the EW4.

Its weird that the d15a3 is supposed to be a AU/NZ engine... I kept seeing that everywhere I looked and things just weren't adding up. Thanks again for the help you guys were right on!

Back