help with engine swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cale

Hello
I am from Macedonia, I have a civic, 1.4i 75 HP, and have the engine b16a1 150hp :cool: crx 91, I want to put that engine in ej9 so would I need help with connecting to the ECU, the problem is that b16a1 cables from the engine do not know how and where it should be connected and be O.K. no problem, so if someone can and wants to help me :confused::confused::confused::eek::(</span>

first- welcome to the forum. hope you enjoy it.

i moved your post into its own thread, that thread you posted in was old and would probably give you no help.

but, let me see if i have this correct:

you have a b16a1 from a 91 crx.
you want to put that in your newer model civic.
but you dont know how to connect the ecu?

if thats correct then first thing is that the ecu should be under the carpet in front of the passenger seat. pull the carpet up, there should be a metal plate bolted down, pull that up and you will see the ecu.

2nd problem is that the b16a1 is from a crx, which has the OBD-0 computer system, and the ej9 is most likely obd2. they wont be a direct swap.
you need to check with local laws to know if this swap is legal in your area, im not familiar with the rules in your country. a lot of places wont let you put an older engine into a car.

but, if you can then the easiest way to go would be to convert everything to obd1. if you go to Rywire - Online Store they should have everything you need to make it a very easy swap. you will also need to buy an obd1 ecu.

if it were myself doing this, i would just sell the swap you have and buy an obd2 swap that should be a direct swap to your car.

if it were myself doing this, i would just sell the swap you have and buy an obd2 swap that should be a direct swap to your car.

I agree. The easiest swap you can do is to stay obd2. You will have the least amount of issues and wont have complications with any state laws you may have as stated above.

Fine the engine harness that belongs with the engine and plug it into the ecu. That's the easiest way of doing it

the engine is OBD0
the car is OBD2
you cannot plug a harness from one diagnostic generation onto another.
you can buy conversion harnesses and do some re-wiring, but the best bet is to get an engine of the proper year that will be plug and play and still allow you to use the OBD system in the future.
that system is there for a reason, and does come in handy a lot. especially when modifying a car.

Back