Help With Engine Swap!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

qwikcivik

yes i have a 92 civic dx coupe 5 speed and i have never done a engine swap before and none of my freinds have eaither so what im asking is im wanting to swap a b16a sir engine that came out of the 92-95 civic sir and was wondering how hard it is and what is needed to succefully complete the swap any parts extra that i would need to buy or could i salvage any thing from the stock engine? like as far as parts what kind of ecu, cv axles, wiring harness, any wiring jumper cables or anything that would be required to do this swap any information would be greatly appreciated because like i said i really dont know what im doing or where i could find any information on this topic.

thanks

well you came to the right place, welcome to hondaswap we have the knowledge to help you out.
as far as the parts list, most of what you are going to need will be from a 99-00 honda civic si, that would be axles, radiator, shift linkage, any engine mounts that are missing on the b16 (except the tranny mount, you can re-use your stock civic mount) any hoses that you will need to replace, and all of the engine parts themselves if something needs to be replaced
from a 95 integra gsr, you can get an engine harness or just re-use your stock civic harness and wire vtec and knock sensor
from a 95 del sol dohc vtec you will need ecu, OR a jdm p30 ecu
basically that is all you will need, im sure someone else will come along and post anything I missed.

You actually don't need anything from an si. All you need is 94-00 integra mounts, driver side and rear plus the two front tourque mounts. Axels from any integra or civic with a b series will work, the only condition is if you use 90-93 integra axels you must use a 90-93 integra half shaft. Accourdingly if you use 94-01 axels you must use a 94-01 half shaft. Shift linkage you can use from any integra 90-2001 or 99-00 si, the only b series shift linkage you can't use is from a b series del sol or b series crx because they are too short. Also i will add the 90-93 integra shift linkage is a little less thick and therefore a little bit flimsyer than 94 and up but you probably won't notice.You can modify your stock engine harness to accept the b series motor but you must add the vtec solenoid wires for your b16. Oh and for hoses the motor should come with all the hoses you need except the upper radiator hose(I cut a 90-93 lower hose to fit) the lower one you can use just lube up the water neck cause its a tight fit and you don't want to split the hose.Thats about it, its a really straight forward swap and there is tons of information out there for you. Make sure you don't take one persons word however because you might spend months trying to find SI only parts when integra parts are everywhere and are the same;).

this is the kind of information iv been looking for thanks sounds like i wont have to many problems doing the swap... now im just waiting on the motor will post pics soon when the engine arrives heehee

Eh, it was just a quick list,
your's is very informative, I used civic Si as an examplae only because I live right down the street from honda Ie I use honda parts where I can, but you are 100 correct on everyhting you said, Good post!
As far as the radiator tho. . . it is recommended that he get the civic Si radiator, it has the correct size inlet and outlet for the b series hoses, and it mounts in his stock location with no modifications.
I have just had bad experiences using the d series radiator for b swaps.

The civic radiator will work fine for a b series motor, i use one. you only need to upgrade for high horse power turbo applications or h22 swaps. They run much hotter than any b series, in fact my b16 runs cooler than my d16 did accourding to my temp gauge.

alright if u use your d series radiator what do i need to do any mods?

Here's some information about wiring that you might find helpful. You can use the DX harness. Only '92 civics (no matter what trim level) came from the factory wired for VTEC. The VTEC wiring only runs from the ECU to the cannon plugs on you passenger side shock tower. The engine harness side of that cannon plug does not have VTEC wires on it, because there is no VTEC solenoid on the DX engine. All you will have to do for wiring is add the wires from the VTEC solenoid and pressure switch into the cannon plug if you would like that factory look. You can get the pins at your local Honda dealer for free. Attatch the wires to the pins and push the pins into the cannon plug, then reconnect the cannon plug and viola you have VTEC. When it comes to the knock sensor, just go straight to the ECU. I have a '92 DX hatch with a '95 SiR II engine in it, and I used my DX harness. If you can get your hands on a '95 SiR II engine, it will be even more simple. The '95 SiR II engine only needs one wire for the VTEC solenoid, and one wire for the knock solenoid. The VTEC pressure switch wire was eliminated in '95. If you don't already have an engine, Specializing in JDM-USDM Engines & Parts...hmotorsonline.com is a good place to start. I bought my motor from them and had no problems. It also came in 5 days. Here's another place to go for pinout information and wiring, .: FF-SQUAD.COM [v.2] :. and click on the info net link. Hope that helps.

The civic radiator will work fine for a b series motor, i use one. you only need to upgrade for high horse power turbo applications or h22 swaps. They run much hotter than any b series, in fact my b16 runs cooler than my d16 did accourding to my temp gauge.

The 99-00 civic si radiator is not an upgrade, and does not cool more than a d series. It just has the correct size inlet and outlet connections for the radiator hoses.
The d series radiator has physically smaller inlet and outlet by 1/8"OD, so if you use the d series radiator with the b series hoses you have to clamp the hoses tighter to make a good seal and take up the extra 1/16" all the way around
if you use the d radiator with d hoses you have to stretch the hoses over the water necks on the engine.

Im not trying to tell you to do it one way or another, just tell you the way that I do it, because it works well for me. every time I have tried to stretch d series hoses onto a b block they tear and eventually fail at the spot where the nylon tore, and equally b series hoses have leaked on d radiators or blown completely off sitting in traffic.

I don't take chances with my engine swaps, I do them the way they I think they should be done that's all.

alright thanks again guys very helpful information just trying to make sure i cover all the angles before i get started on my swap with little confusion

one more thing do i need any extension harnesses since the engine is rhd will the harness connect?

Question. I just purchased a B18C engine to put into a 96 honda civic ex. What I would like for you guys to help me with is this: The car is currently a auto but the engine came with a manual tranny, I believe I have everything that I need but I think that I may have to change the wiring harness and the radiator.. any feed back will help alot so I can complete this project.

Back