Help with h22a swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gbert

I just swapped my h23 out for a OBD1 jdm h22a in my 95 prelude si. I used the h23 wire harness and was wondering what to do about making modifications for the internal coil supplied with the jdm distributor.

I have searched hondaswap.com, 92lude.com, hondahookup.com, and automotive forums for this answer and haven't had any luck. I'm tring to finish the project tomorrow so any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Just connect the yellow/black and yellow wire (I think those are the correct colors).

Basically you're just completing the circut to the distributor. The third wire is useless. Don't worry about.

Or you could just use your h23 distributor and external coil...

:concur:

Only that one wire to connect. I do think it's the yellow one. The black/yellow is definitely the power source. The other side connects to the + side of your internal coil, which is probably the yellow wire outside the distributor.

Sorry to all, first of all, for bringing up an old thread. However, I'm doing the same thing right now, and I just want to make sure I understand. Here's what I get out of it:

I need to clip the connector that went to the external coil, do nothing with the black wire, and connect the black/yellow and the yellow wires, right? Just want to make sure I do this right!!!

Originally posted by wiredjosh@Aug 10 2004, 10:23 PM
Sorry to all, first of all, for bringing up an old thread. However, I'm doing the same thing right now, and I just want to make sure I understand. Here's what I get out of it:

I need to clip the connector that went to the external coil, do nothing with the black wire, and connect the black/yellow and the yellow wires, right? Just want to make sure I do this right!!!
[post=375084]Quoted post[/post]​

you'll jump the black/yellow from that unused plug to the yellow on the other plug.

I used a plain spade connector to tap the black/yellow, then jumped over with a short piece of wire. I do suggest that you tap into the yellow wire on the side that allows you to unplug it later if you pull the motor.(below the distributor plug.)

Originally posted by tab+Aug 11 2004, 03:45 AM-->
wiredjosh
@Aug 10 2004, 10:23 PM
Sorry to all, first of all, for bringing up an old thread.  However, I'm doing the same thing right now, and I just want to make sure I understand.  Here's what I get out of it:

I need to clip the connector that went to the external coil, do nothing with the black wire, and connect the black/yellow and the yellow wires, right?  Just want to make sure I do this right!!!

you'll jump the black/yellow from that unused plug to the yellow on the other plug.

I used a plain spade connector to tap the black/yellow, then jumped over with a short piece of wire. I do suggest that you tap into the yellow wire on the side that allows you to unplug it later if you pull the motor.(below the distributor plug.)
[post=375208]Quoted post[/post]​

i spliced the yellow/black and the yellow wire of the same connector and left the black alone.... and i think it fried my icm or coil because im not getting any spark out any of the spark plug wires...and before the car died it was choking and it wasnt throwing enough spark through the spark plug wires

Originally posted by Type-T+Aug 28 2004, 11:38 PM-->
Originally posted by tab@Aug 11 2004, 03:45 AM
wiredjosh
Sorry to all, first of all, for bringing up an old thread.  However, I'm doing the same thing right now, and I just want to make sure I understand.  Here's what I get out of it:

I need to clip the connector that went to the external coil, do nothing with the black wire, and connect the black/yellow and the yellow wires, right?  Just want to make sure I do this right!!!

i spliced the yellow/black and the yellow wire of the same connector and left the black alone.... and i think it fried my icm or coil because im not getting any spark out any of the spark plug wires...and before the car died it was choking and it wasnt throwing enough spark through the spark plug wires
[post=383189]Quoted post[/post]​

different connectors.

The black/yellow will be on one connector. The Yellow wire is next to a thinner blue wire I believe. Jump power from the black/yellow wire to the yellow wire at the other connector.

Originally posted by tab+Aug 29 2004, 04:27 PM-->
Originally posted by Type-T@Aug 28 2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by tab@Aug 11 2004, 03:45 AM
wiredjosh

[post=383189]Quoted post[/post]​

different connectors.

The black/yellow will be on one connector. The Yellow wire is next to a thinner blue wire I believe. Jump power from the black/yellow wire to the yellow wire at the other connector.
[post=383331]Quoted post[/post]​

ok i did that and tried to turn the car on..but it wont turn on...it gets crank but nothing...i think my coil went bad...right before it went bad it was choking maybe because the coil was right about to croke...but its fucking weird that it went bad right after i spliced those wires together..

can i install the external coil to replace the internal coil in the dist?...how can this affect performance in a good or bad way?

Back