Help with ignitions?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

P7ank5te7

Well its time for a tune up on the car, and i'm looking at getting an msd ignition down the road. I've always heard that bigger wires can be a help, or a problem depending on application. I was wondering if there were any recommendations on wires, since i'm going to get standard plugs that it calls for. I was looking at getting a set of 10mm to replace the stock 7mm wires on there, would this be too big? Also any brand of wires that are recommended? Also would anyone recommend getting the MSD 6A ignition with the external cap and the blaster ss coil? The car is a 95 Civic EX w/ the d16z6, with a cat back exhaust and short air intake. Thanks - Gary

Dont Get The Msd Unless You Plan To Keep Going

Balance Is Key

More Air + More Fuel + More Spark Balanced Correctly = More Power

Thats Why Tuning Is So Important

More Spark Alone Will Only Help A Little;)

by the way

"Blanco" means white

your avatar isnt:dunno: besides hes a noobie and needs some info, lighten up:drinks_drunk:

More spark does NOT equal more power. More spark equals a more complete burn in high compression engines. You're nowhere even remotely close to needing anything other than OEM Honda. Anything more will be a complete waste of money at this point and that includes caps, rotors, coils, and plugs.

Thanks for the input here.. but to me general tech, is routine repairs and unknown problems, engine building is for add-ons and upgrades, thats why it was posted here.. As far as it goes Blanco, it seems like your always around bro, and saying not to waste my money, which I appreciate.. Most people around me careless about that. And I don't mean that the wrong way. But back on topic. Bigger wires = Bigger spark = More complete burn, no matter what motor, is that not correct, and the msd gives a higher amount of voltage for that. thus meaning motor runs better and consumes less gas correct? -Gary

Ya it happens.. But I see what your saying. MSD is only needed if going for nice high compression, or boost, correct? The only reason was, because I'm looking at what mod's will be transferable to my B16 once I get off my tail and work some serious overtime, to make the green for it, and a guy I work with was telling me, I definately should get an MSD setup, since it is transferable and would help build power and may help me with gas economy, mind you, I'm getting about 32-35 out of the car for some hard driving I do... One thing, I do need to find is a good header, because I have the cat back exhaust but standard exhaust manifold and down pipe. I know that would help a little bit for sure but that wont be a transferable part for me, thats the only down fall to this. But ya.. -Gary

Back